Grocery Shopping in [Ontario]: Deals and Specials, 2024

Chicken drumsticks are $2.99/lb at FarmBoy this week

GEP1R1tXIAAuTTc

1 Like

I live in Ottawa and we donā€™t have a food rescue program here. I think a lot of businesses have been throwing away a lot of food they canā€™t sell. I wish we had something like Second Harvest in Toronto.

We now have a community pantry downtown and one grocery store and one bakery have been donating regularly but with the cost of food what it is the food gets scooped up quickly. I think other businesses have been donating food butnot much ans irregularly.

1 Like

I supported the Ottawa Food Bank last year and the year before . My friend does a drive through his law firm.

There is this :
https://foodsharingottawa.com/

I had a horrible experience volunteering for Second Harvest in 2006.

The food charities I have been supporting the most in Toronto are The Stop and FoodShare Toronto.

I bring food I no longer want to Community Fridges in Toronto.
There is a fridge located in front of Sanaganā€™s Meat Locker in Kensington Market.

I also support Growing Chefs in London.

1 Like

Yeah, sureā€¦ Theyā€™ll probably raise their prices first. Grrrrrr

Apparently Loblaws wonā€™t be bringing back the 50% discount for another few weeks. They lowered it to 30% off awfully fast but taking their time bumping it back up :rage:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been buying mostly fruits and veggies lately since I have a lot of meat and fish in the freezer. Farm Boy has 227g packages of mushrooms on sale this week for $1.99. Metro has blackberries on sale for $2.49. Shoppers has 3 lb bunches of bananas for $1.77 which is their regular price but if I wait until Thursday I can get a 20% off seniors discount :slight_smile: I also buy red delicious apples there on Thursday so I can cash in on my seniors discount.

Metro has Raos on sale for $10.99. They also have Unico olives on sale for $1.99 a can and the Brunswick sardines I like for $1.48.

Your Independent Grocer has 1 lb containers of strawberries on sale starting tomorrow for $2.99 and 283 g containers of grape tomatoes for $2.49 with your optimum card.

Evil Loblaws had tomatoes on sale for $0.96/lb this week. Beefsteak tomatoes were on sale for $1.99/lb.

Iā€™ve been paying $3-$5/ lb elsewhere.

My local Loblaws had packages of three peppers on sale for $0.94 a package when I was there last Friday. Some of them will go into a chicken cacciatore and the remainder will get roasted then frozen. Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t get more of themā€¦

1 Like

Do deals on cooking tools apply? Amazon currently has a discount on the Nordic Ware 3 piece Bakerā€™s Delight Set (aluminium) for $25.47. Just got myself this and Costcoā€™s current 4 piece Nordic Ware 1/6th sheets offer and the total is less than Costcoā€™s 5 piece set (and much more useful to me).

Iā€™m replacing all my non-stick cookware which can be exposed to high temperatures. I never realized my baking sheets were non-stick until I saw Costco selling non-stick Nordic Ware.

3 Likes

Sure!
Thanks!