Grocery shopping in Ontario: a skyrocketing price thread

1 Like

Apparently Longos is selling turkeys for $120.

Not really food related but, remember when McEwens was price gouging Torontonians for hand sanitizer?

Those wouldnā€™t be regular turkeys.

Heritage turkeys also cost an arm and a leg.

The $119 Longoā€™s turkeys look already roasted and cooked. Iā€™m sure Longoā€™s also is selling regular butterballs and other uncooked turkeys for less.

https://reddit.com/r/toronto/s/YlX5EyAzGM

That said, expect turkey to cost more this season because the avian flu has wiped out domestic farmed turkeys and farmed chickens across North America. It isnā€™t just inflation and greedy grocer barons a t play.

Restaurant related instead of Grocery related!

INTERESTING FACTOID

Came across this interesting factoid. Iā€™ll put forward my findings and then let you determine if sometimes, doing some price comparison prior to dishing out our well-earned money in purchases is indeed a wise strategy,

especially in cases where greedy restaurants would like to take advantage of consumersā€™ ignorance?

The iconic and tasty Cantonese traditional dish - ā€˜ GrandFather, 5 Taste Components, Braised Duck ā€˜ is appearing in more and more Cantonese restaurant menus. Quality and taste profile, derived from near identical age-old recipes, can be found to be quite similar.

For half a duck, here are some examples of the price ranges restaurants are charging:

• Weiā€™s Kitchen, Markhamā€¦ā€¦$21.99
  • Chi-Star House, Richmond Hillā€¦ā€¦.$28.00
  • Kingsfield, Richmond Hillā€¦ā€¦ā€¦$28.88
  • Star-Chiva Cuisine, Richmond Hillā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ $33!!
    ā€¦and I can attest, their quantity, quality and taste are all pretty similar!!
1 Like

Iā€™ve been finding it interesting to compare prices of Steak Frites, Butter Chicken, General Tso chicken, Bennies, etc around town lately! It can vary a lot!

Most steak frites around Little Italy , Dundas W, Roncesvalles and Ossington seem to be $40-$45.

Also, $15 bucks right now can get you very average sandwich or a excellent one. Both the posh places and the middle level places are charging $15 for a sandwich. The Croque Monsieur at Bicyclette Food, a little wine bar on Harbord, was a much better $15 sandwich than my Ranalliā€™s hot Italian Beef in Kensington Market.

BTW, this is NOTHING when comparing the $4.99 Shoppers Drug Mart is charging for a tube of Pringles Chips, with the likes of Walmart and Freshcos, who are selling them for only $2.19 -$2.49!!.. thatā€™s not price gouging, more like daylight robbery!!

1 Like

It really varies at Shoppers. We buy the 12 pack of mini Pringles, which varies from $5.99 at Walmart (I generally boycott Walmart, I went in only for the Pringles a month ago) to $6.49 - $7.29 at Metro, Sobeys, Superstore and Loblaws. Most recently $6.99 at Loblaws on Monday. :joy:

I bought my Dawn dish detergent at Shoppers today, $3 off each bottle.

Iā€™m a huge fan of Rexall, especially right after Xmas! Big markdowns!

I am learning quickly to keep my eye on the price of groceries these days. When I get my CSA during the summer months I love making Greek salads for lunch. The feta cheese I like is $5.49 at the Italian grocery store I go to. But the exact same brand and size is in the $8 range at Farm Boy and the $11 range at Loblaws. Same thing with the blue cheese and the goat cheese I buy - they are much cheaper at the Italian grocer than the chain places. The only thing Iā€™m not too happy about is that the Italian grocer isnā€™t keeping the prices on their website up-to-date and Farm Boy isnā€™t listing the price of their groceries on their website anymore. I like to look up prices when Iā€™m grocery shopping so I know where the best deals are.

I shop at FarmBoy once or twice a week, and the prices for the same goods vary a lot week to week.

I have several staples I buy, and I have a mind for remembering prices everywhere.

Our LdnOnt FarmBoy has pineapples that alternate between $3.99 and $4.99, probably due to shipments. They were $3.99 yesterday. Theyā€™re usually $5.99 to $6.99 at Loblaws or Sobeys.

The mushrooms are often on sale.

Some cut of chicken, beef and pork is often on sale, often whole chickens will be reduced to $2.99/ lb.

The Quick Sale produce section at the Farm Boys in London on Fanshawe Park Rd (North London) and Beaverbrook (West London) often have near perfect produce for next to nothing. London is saturated with grocery stores.FarmBoy is perceived as posh, and the 2 stores I visit are often empty. No Frills is perceived as a bargain, even though its produce is highly mediocre. No Frills is always crowded. Costco is always crowded. I hate crowds so that was one more reason I became a FarmBoy FanGirl. I visit Sobeys at 9 pm on Friday nights when itā€™s nice and empty.

The Bakery section at FarmBoy also has a quick sale shelf, with items marked at additional 30 percent off.

I am sure the Farm Boy quick sale items would be more picked over in Toronto, and maybe also in Ottawa.

I think Farm Boy doesnā€™t publish all their deals because the deals fluctuate depending on how quickly they have to sell their goods.

I keep track of current prices and deals in my head. While I donā€™t tend to go to any one store for one advertised deal, I wonā€™t buy some items when I remember seeing them cheaper elsewhere, and I stock up when I see something I like at a good price.

I like shopping at my favourite local Italian grocery store in Toronto, Fiesta Farms. The prices are the same as Farm Boy, Metro, Loblaws or Sobeys. The produce, imports and meats at Fiesta Farms are better! Also, better panettone selection.

I havenā€™t noticed cheese being cheaper at the Italian or Greek markets in Toronto. I splurge on the good feta at Serano Bakery in Toronto when I travel to East York!

The quick sale items at Farm Boy arenā€™t too bad actually. I usually check the fruits and veggies mostly so I can use bananas for banana muffins, tomatoes for tomato sauce, etc. The reduces veggies at Loblaws are horrible since they have lots of bad spots and they are really poor quality in genera. If I want any meats that are quick sale I usually favour Loblaws since their meats are marked down by 50%. I was buying a lot of half price meats last spring and my freezer is now a little full so I have banned myself from the meat section of the grocery store until my freezer is empty. Otherwise I keep an eye out on the grocery store flyers so if I need chicken for example I will buy it from whoever has it on sale for cheapest.

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried Brownā€™s but I challenge :wink: you with Chino Farms corn (or any vegetable at Chino in general). If you are ever in San Diego always worth a visit

This is about post is about shopping in Ontario, Canada

2 Likes

I know but that what just a friendly ā€œreminderā€ that there is even better corn somewhere else

1 Like

Okay, I thought you might have been recommending where to buy corn for a Hungry Onion in Ontario, California! :wink:

About half my American relatives are Californian (one located in San Diego but she hasnā€™t visited us in Canada) and theyā€™re usually quite impressed with Ontarian corn when they visit during the summer.

Thereā€™s a bit of a rivalry in Canada between Ontario corn and Taber corn from Alberta.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never heard of Brownā€™s corn.

My favourite farm for corn, located in Komoka, Ontario., ceased operations this past summer. I was very happy with the corn from a mushroom farmer in St Maryā€™s, On, a smaller scale operation which was only selling at 3 markets in southwestern Ontario.

I would love to take you up on that challenge. Iā€™ve never been to California. Chino Farms looks wonderful.

Having eaten Taber corn while in Calgary and Ontario corn fresh from the farm, my vote goes to Ontario. In Ontario, weā€™re way less likely to have an oil field on top of a farmerā€™s field.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had good Taber corn, and Iā€™ve had good Ontario corn.

Even with Ontario corn, the best corn can be so variable depending on the terroir and current weather conditions.

We still have some oil around Petrolia and Centralia, not really that far from the good corn from Strathroy!

Taber has more heat units during the summer, and more sun than southwestern Ontario , so that helps their game. I guess we probably have less surprise snow and hail.

I have no idea if the farmers plant different varieties out west.

I compared Okanogan to Niagara peaches a couple years ago. Again, it depends on the recent weather and heat units more than anything else, imo. What was different about some Okanogan fruit was that there were peaches and nectarines the size of grapefruits. Different growing conditions, different latitude so more sunlight in May and June, I think. I havenā€™t seen fruit like that in Ontario.

Look at what Loblawā€™s is charging for a litre bottle of Tunisian EVOO. I understand drought in Europe is forcing up the prices, but this is double what Metro is currently charging.

1 Like

Thatā€™s crazy! The Italian grocer I shop at charges $15 to $20 for most of their 1l bottles of evoo. They donā€™t have that brand but Iā€™ve bought their store brand which is just as good if not better than the high end oils and itā€™s $20 a bottle.