Grocery Shopping In [Houston, Texas]

They’re opening an Aldi on Gessner just north of Emnora. Never been but will go.

A brand spanking new 7-Eleven is opening on Long Point and Blalock. The last one I went to was in Austin and it was a dump. It’s good to see them re-entering the market.

3 Likes

As some may know I am a train nut, but especially railroad history.

Chaney Junction near the Heights has two very active rail lines but a 1907 map shows dozens of tracks serving various industries.

One is Vick’s Stock Pens pretty much where the unisex bathroom only Kroger is on Studemont.

How fitting.

http://txrrhistory.com/towers/014/014.htm

1 Like

Perhaps you are the one that made me foolow train guru on Insta? I also have a insta cooking friend who likes trains.

1 Like

Aldi on Blalock just north of Emnora is now open. Edit, make that Gessner.

2 Likes

I saw that, have you been?

1 Like

Not yet but I get out walk everyday and will be there soon.

1 Like

I went to MY HEB on Bunker Hill recently, grabbed a few items and wandered around for 10 minutes or so and to my sheer and udder horror realized I was mask less.

I scurried to the front and left my selections with the door person, went to the car and masked up.

Nobody said anything even though the place was packed, como siempre.

I felt like I was naked. :mask: :open_mouth: :mask: :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I forgot mine at Specs and got the “talk to the hand” gesture :rofl: Ran back to the mask in my front seat. Yeah, never thought such a thing would be embarrassing.

3 Likes

I took on HEB Bunker Hill this morning. Holy Scott Mclelland batman! It was so crowded, way too crowded for me. I notice my area grocery stores, when I go to them, which isn’t often, are busy every day all day. I guess because many people are working from home and needing to get out during the week for a bit.

They have their “LIve Crawfish” signs dotting the landscape, but no “Crawfish Boil Saturday” signs that I saw. Probably waiting for the spring sizes.

Anyway, celebrity sighting. HEB guy was doing some associate training in the Valentine aisle. :rofl: probably would have asked for a selfie if he didn’t look so involved.

2 Likes

I’m lucky, I guess, that I have handicapped parking and can park up close. No I don’t ride in an electric cart. HEB/Kroger help get my daily walking in.

MY HEB is easy once you get in especially if you self check. However, the produce, seafood, meat departments and the entire refrigerated back aisle can be crowded at best.

Then there is the bakery aisle where I won’t take a cart up, down, or sideways. I park the cart by an endcap and do a grab and go. :oyster:

1 Like

I’ve never noticed self check out at Bunker Hill! But then again they have so many checkout stations and usually have them manned up pretty good so I’ve never had to wait long either.

1 Like

[quote=“Lambowner, post:111, topic:15315”]
I’ve never noticed self check out at Bunker Hill!
[/quote].
They have a large corral like self check on the right as you come from produce to check out. There are also two partners as they call them there to keep things going smoothly.

1 Like

How many did you swallow?

(I knew there was a joke in there somewhere - it just took me fourteen months to find it.). :wink:

3 Likes

Good topic and great ‘setting-the-scene’ posts @NotDoobieWah. I remember Henke’s, as it came to be known toward the end. The two major Houston grocery chains in those days were Weingarten’s and Henke’s, with the latter not as nice as the former.

As kids, we referred to it as Drinkwater & Pillot. And now you know how the second name was pronounced.

Oh yes, to add to the grocery store news, the Last Rice Epicurean, on Fountainview will close at the end of July. They were nice stores and every once in a while you could find something you could afford to buy. Spec’s will take over the space. Never been to that location but I imagine it’s quite large, so maybe a Spec’s with a large deli/imported food section, like Smith Street? IF so, congrats to ;you Westsiders. I’m sure you won’t have much use for just another large liquor store.

1 Like

A few years ago there was a Rice Epicurean on Memorial. I liked it to get some See’s candy from the in-store kiosk. Great deli too, but you’re right about the prices. It became an East coast chain that I don’t even remember the name of it now. I think it had the word fresh in it. Anyway it lasted about 10 minutes and they pulled the whole chain out of Houston. Now it’s a Total Wine, which are clobbering Specs with their prices.

2 Likes

Fresh Market. Hit town around the same time as Sprouts and went into several ex-Rice stores.

1 Like

That’s it! Very pricey, but they had a large deli and I liked the chicken salad.