Grocery Shopping In [Houston, Texas]

I’m not at that age but since I retired the only thing I do at 7 am is roll over and go back to sleep.

3 Likes

I actually stopped in a Food Town today on Wilcrest. Completely stocked (except for TP). I found ground beef there when no other store has it. Finally! Craving lasagna. More time at home means more cooking.

3 Likes

Major score at MY HEB today. Hefty trash bags, not the preferred MY HEB TEXAS TOUGH brand, but good enough.

Some more flowers for the Wifeacita. She likes them and call me a pansy but so do I.

2 Likes

Has anyone been to a big HEB lately? The hatch chiles are due to arrive any minute, and I need to get in early, since I missed the mild variety last year. Just wondering if anyone has seen them yet.

1 Like

I avoid MY HEB due to crowds and only go every three weeks or so. The Wifeacita was there Sunday and they didn’t have them. She goes every weekend so we will keep our eyes peeled, so to speak. :joy:

2 Likes

The Wifeacita was at MY HEB today and inquired about the chiles in question. She was told mid October which seems really late to us. Maybe the chiles have the Covid.

She’s there every weekend so when/if they come in you will be the third person to know, Lambsy. :mask:

1 Like

Thank you so much Oysters! I appreciate it. October is way late. Last year they were here early July. But, I still have a couple of meals worth in the freezer from last year. But holy chile, they are hot, the hottest I’ve ever had. I was gonna get some medium or mild ones this year as well.

1 Like

Hatch chiles are here. Or at least the ad in the Chronicle says they are. I don’t think the Butts family would lie about that.

2 Likes

MY HEB ad emailed to me has hot hatch chiles in it.

Woohoo! I’ll head there tomorrow, maybe they already have some roasted in the case. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t see them roasting any outside like they did the last few years.

They were boiling crawfish early in the year until the covid blew up and they shut that down. :mask: :thinking:

1 Like

The latest Randall’s flyer shows them roasting at several, (but not all) locations.

Sat and Sun 9am to 6pm at:
14610 Memorial, (I think that’s the one at Dairy Ashford)
5219 FM1960
and one location each in Galveston, Katy and Richmond.

That said, I’m kind over Hatch chilis. I often buy the frozen chunk at Trader Joe’s and use half along with fresh chopped poblanos, jalapenos, etc. in my Green Pork Chili.

I just don’t find the whole “roasting, peeling, seeding, bagging” routine worth the effort.

My $0.02.

Let’s eat!

P.S. - Edited to add: This is coming from a guy who just yesterday shucked 16 ears of Olathe corn and cut off the kernels, fried them in butter and bacon fat and froze about four ears worth per bag for the winter,

AND

simmered the trimmed cobs for corn stock to make chicken corn chowder.

That WAS worth the effort.

The corn is available here locally for 8 ears / $1.

2 Likes

Oh good, I will be there shortly for lunch at sushi Jin. I picked up a to go order there a couple of weeks ago and it was empty and they were all very sad looking, so I’m meeting a friend there.

I froze fresh uncooked corn one year. It did not freeze well at all. I was so disappointed after all that effort. Corn chowder soup sounds amazing.

2 Likes

Unfortunately today is Friday.

You’ll hafta go back tomorrow or sunday.

Enjoy your lunch.

1 Like

Randall’s? How much are they, 600 dollars each?! :dizzy_face:

I got some of the Olathe corn at Kroger’s Studemont last week, yes the one with unisex only bathrooms.

That is some good corn, I got some straight out of the box, it was from Colorado.

The unisex thing is a deal killer. :mask:

2 Likes

:rofl::joy:

1 Like

Allow me to say this about that. We picked up some field fresh corn from Dilorio’s in Hempstead in early June and the Olathe was decidedly second.

Corn season in SE Texas lasts a month at most, this from someone who has grown a lot. Silver Queen was my choice.

Mid May to early June is best.

1 Like

Per Wifeacita no roasting today. She didn’t check the cases for pre roasted.

1 Like

When you say “field fresh corn,” by any chance is that fresh field corn?
Call me a country hick but I like field corn a lot better than all those sweet varieties.

1 Like

It was field fresh right out of the box sweet and delicious,

I have nothing against fresh field corn, anything fresh is good by me.

Maybe next spring we can act like high schoolers and raid a field and grab a few ears. Yes I’ve done that.

1 Like