Grocery Price Smackdown (Florida)

How do Whole Foods’ new prices compare to Wal-Mart, Publix and Aldi? The answer is surprising | Doreen’s Deals

Compares prices at Wal-Mart, Trader Joe’s, Publix, Aldi and The Fresh Market in Florida.

The winner?

(Hint: It was not Wal-Mart.)

Watch out for Aldi & Lidl. I used to work in German retail, and those two chains know a thing or two about discounting. If they put their minds to a problem, they are tough to beat.

I read an article about how Aldi’s keeps its prices so low: private labels, no-frills design (think Costco), no free bags or cart round-ups.

But other things such as:

Milk arrives on racks so it can restocked very fast. All the dairy is restocked from the back to automatically rotate the stock.

Produce is packaged together and sold so cashiers don’t have to weigh items at checkout.

Aldi’s private-label packaging has barcodes on multiple sides so the cashier does not spend as long finding the barcode to scan.

(And obviously, they don’t have all those labor-intensive departments such as in-store bakery, deli counters, etc.)

1 Like

YGreat article. I’m curious about the quality of the items, though. Bananas are bananas, but what about the salmon and chicken?

This is interesting, and not simply for Florida. I may run this price comparison test in Los Angeles: Costco, Ralph’s, Trader Joe’s, Northgate Market (a Mexican supermarket chain) and Whole Foods.

I have noticed that prices for apples, avocados, and other produce at farmers markets are comparable to supermarkets in my area.

As in this shit is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s?

1 Like

Are you making fun of my friend? Because Gwen rules.

1 Like

Nope not making fun. Big fan.

No doubt.