Grocery Outlet 2019 [Bay Area]

I forgot to add the best tasting nut milk I’ve found yet

Elmhurst Milked Cashews Unsweetened version
$1.99 for 32 oz. carton
found on the shelves above the freezer section along with other alternative milks, not in the fridge.

It claims that it has 5x more nut content than other nut milk and it looks to be true. If you look at the fat and protein content and reverse engineer the numbers, it has about 3 oz. of cashews in a 32 oz. carton while those numbers are much lower for the almond milks available which makes for a denser and creamier product that also has no fillers or added sugar. I got 3 quart cartons.

Elmhurst was a New York City dairy founded in 1925 but converted to plant milks in 2017.

Also drinking the chilled Swanson Vineyards 2017 Pinot Grigio from San Benito ($2.99) which pairs well with game 7 of the Portland vs. Denver 2019 NBA Western Conference Semifinals.

This thread is so fun to browse!

1 Like

S. Van Ness, Mission, SF
I didn’t buy the duck fat as I’m trying to limit my intake of such things. Tamales are very good, masa stays tender when steamed. I keep buying bottles of the Acacia rose, at $3.99 its a fanatastic deal and nice sipper, decent acidity and dryness. They also had a large supply of Bob’s Redmill products, I picked up some steel cut oats. I do not recomend the acai puree - I mixed a packet with my steel cut oats for a healthy breakfast and it it was like eating tile grout, I think they just packaged the excess pith from making other acai products. Much better to mix in the frozen organic blueberries that G.O. always has in stock.

4 Likes

Slim pickings today at the PA store. Got none of the items at Van Ness.

1 Like

Marina store (Monterey area not Marina district, SF)

3 varieties of bnutty Gourmet Peanut Butter $1.99

• pretzel & white chocolate
  • coconut, almond, dark chocolate
  • caramel & sea salt
    Image result for bnutty peanut butter pretzel white chocolate

That’s the beauty of G.O., it is a treasure hunt, you never know what you are going to find. Of all the SF stores I like S. Van Ness and Bayshore Blvd. the best. The Geary and Silver Ave ones don’t seem to have as much interesting stuff.

2 Likes

Ooh I wish my store had that duck fat! I’ve never cooked with it. That’s a great price for any fat.

1 Like

Now you got me second guessing my decision so I might have to pick some up. Other than maybe a duck confit what else would you do with it?

I personally find Geary to be better curated than S. Van Ness. It is a smaller store, and maybe can’t stock quite as many products, but the products that it does stock are on average better (although the really good stuff tends to sell out faster - perhaps one reason why my last few trips there haven’t been great). The wine and especially spirits selections at Geary I think are invariably better.

One other beef I have with S. Van Ness is that the owners intentionally mark some items up compared to the other GOs. An interesting thing I learned is that if GO has a big advertised sale across all its stores (you’ll see it in a flyer in the mail or in-store), each and every franchise must honor the prices in the national advertisement. So S. Van Ness - which has been ratcheting up the price of high-demand items like La Croix seltzer - had to lower the price again a few months ago during the GO-wide sale.

2 Likes

I tend to use solid fats rather than liquid oils when cooking so I would use it any time I needed to grease a pan. I’ve never cooked with duck fat but to test it I’d try frying an egg with it. Potatoes would be another possibility - pan fried, cottage fries, french fries.

If it is rather neutral in taste or the taste doesn’t clash, I’d use it to saute. I often cook chicken soups so that could be used to cook the mirepoix or even the roux. At that price, it’s cheaper than butter and cheaper than ghee, coconut oil, or bacon fat.

2 Likes

Geary GO has ruined my life. I can no longer go to my “'round the corner” carriage trade supermarket for staples: organic milk, pastured eggs, heavy cream, imported butter, organic chicken, EVOO, organic produce, cooking oils, ice cream, paper towels, toilet paper. We even have a house sparkling wine that meets muster for $5.99, The management and entire staff at Geary GO are a delight. We are living VERY well at roughly 50% of our former grocery. I :heart: GO!

7 Likes

While I was an early and loud antagonist of Mississippi Roast, I have come around to becoming a staunch believer. i know, I know, it’s bad food, Although my version still depends on packaged junk seasonings, I do omit the butter. Point of story, I have found that having a chunk of leftover MS in the fridge is a boon, Instant taco and burrito filling, pasta and salad addition, fast hot sandwich and on and on,p

And i’ve found that Grocery Outlet’s small beef chuck roast is perfect for a meal and sumptuous leftovers. Multi meals for something like $6. Love you, GO.

2 Likes

If I knew of a reliable source for duck livers I would buy that duck fat in a heartbeat.

1 Like

In what department or area is the duck fat stocked?

Saturday at the PA store:

This is ok. Like Rainbow’s bulk goldenberries better.

B1 at $2.49 G1 free. so $2.49 for 12 popsicles. good deal.

1 Like

Oh yeah those Pepperidge Farm Maui cookies are so good. They have a sell by date of May 31st or something, but thy don’t last long in my house anyway.

2 Likes

Sunday at the PA store:

1 Like

Wednesday evening at the PA store:

This lentil snack was on the shelf unpriced. The two cashiers huddled but couldn’t locate the price so they just sold them at 99c. I got 4 bags. Delicious. (I’ve had them before elsewhere)

What is Bulgarian feta used for?

4 Likes

The Hayward GO (near Castro Valley border) regularly has grass-fed ground beef and semi-regularly has grass-fed ground lamb, a rarity. The beef is currently going for $5.49/lb. We buy both often and have found the quality to be quite good.

We don’t get nearly the same fancy-shmancy stuff the Palo Alto and SF branches seem to get. :wink:

4 Likes

excerpts:

Most of its stores are on the West Coast, and most of those are in California, but it plans to expand further nationally. It is primarily a franchised operation: Of its 323 stores, 315 are run by independent owners.

“Even those who can afford to shop elsewhere love finding a ‘steal,’ and it’s a habit that’s here to stay,”…

Robert Inouye (middle) and Judy Inouye (right) buy beer at Grocery Outlet, a 73-year-old company with Bay Area roots on Monday, June 17, 2019 in Oakland, Calif. Married for forty three years, Judy’s been shopping at Grocery Outlet for at least the past three decades.

1 Like