Grills, grills, grills

Thanks.

How do you dump the ashes in a BGE or Kamodo? Does the BGE just have a little ash pan like I see on the smaller Kamodos? I’m guessing they are pretty heavy units.

I don’t have a pan, but a BGE thing for removing the ashes.

But now I see there is a pan available.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Green-Egg-Ash-Pan/dp/B001EF1S88#:~:text=It%20works.,hang%20on%20the%20raised%20lip.&text=If%20you%20plan%20on%20using,ash%20out%20a%20painless%20experience.

Here is my grill… I got it on clearance for $7!! I save the small limb wood when I trim my Mesquite tree and burn that to cook over. I know it seems quite “primitive” to cook (outside) over a wood fire but the results are excellent. I mainly “grill” hamburgers and hot dogs. And cleanup is a breeze… scrub it lightly with a little soap and an old scrubby sponge, hose it off in the backyard, let it dry in the sun and put it away until next time.

4 Likes

The older I get, the simpler I get. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are correct… It is just me and my girlfriend. I did look at a gas grill at one point, but then it seemed to get complicated.
Where do I put it in the back yard, then get a gas cylinder, then I would need a cover for the thing. Add to the fact we get some wicked wind/dust storms during monsoon season, so I’d have to chain it to something and the whole idea seemed to snowball.
Now when I want to grill, I pull out my little Hibachi, set it on the ground near my back porch, sit it my Adirondack chair and drink a beer while I throw another twig on the fire and flip the burgers. Done and done!!
We are both older, so simpler is better (for us).

1 Like

MOTLEY BBQRUE had a hit single by this name in 1987.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t it just be Motley 'Cue?

2 Likes

Probably. But I was trying to keep the “crew” sound in the name.

Tell me you didn’t have that song in mind when you titled this thread, though.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course I did! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve rarely lived in a place where it was even possible — or legal — to grill outdoors. When I lived in a wee house in an historic district, I used a tiny hibachi set in one of the fireplaces. Did the trick for me!

1 Like

You a surfer or backpacker?

When I was growing up, my parents had one of the first cheap, cast iron Japanese hibachis. I can’t remember them ever using it.

Later in life, I wanted a Lodge Sportsman type hibachi, but thankfully went directly to grills that allowed me to stand while cooking. https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/sportsmans-pro-cast-iron-grill?sku=LSPROG&gclid=CjwKCAjwgaeYBhBAEiwAvMgp2vfwj3-YIJhbIsUn0HZPwuWuVoZuoBrosON7J3jmmGCFdLtqMBrpuRoCX-IQAvD_BwE

If I had it to do over, and ALL I wanted to do is open grilling, I’d probably get a kudu. https://kudugrills.com/product/the-kudu/?utm_source=google-ads&utm_campaign=&utm_agid=&utm_term=&creative=&device=c&placement=&gclid=CjwKCAjwgaeYBhBAEiwAvMgp2rWfq7U9OqN8HqfThJmy5jQBTljMreMt4iFEQ9cTFoFzVx7g1ySbhxoCmhMQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Not a surfer…

But it is funny you mentioned backpacking, that is actually on my “bucket list”. I just picked up a used “Eagle Creek” back pack. I still need some other gear before my first overnight backpack trip.

At this point, my girlfriend and I just do day hiking. She is NOT going to sleep in a tent or hammock, so anything overnight will be solo.

Both of those grills looked great!!

As for standing while grilling, I guess I’m a bit lazy. I have this old low slung Adirondack chair that lets me but the grill on the cement off the back porch. I can sit back, have a beer, watch the sunset and tend to the burgers/hot dogs.

I was referring to the lightweight/minimalist nature of your kit, which looks very packable. As long as you have scrounged wood or dung as fuel, you’re set for backpacking.

There are strategies for luring reluctants into overnights. Photos, interesting stories, etc. A favorite of mine is that some of the very best day hikes start a hike’s distance from the trailhead. Another is to cache some favorite cold beverage in a stream along the way for her to “discover”…

1 Like

I don’t mind going on an overnight (backpack trip) by myself. She can go on a cruise, while I explore Joshua Tree or some other National park.
My girlfriend has been asking about going on a cruise, but I know if I join her I’ll gain 20 pounds.

I’m a simple man as well. I mainly use red oak, sugar maple, or hickory. Ash, also. Ash is the most neutral wood out there. Just cut and bucked a big ole ash last spring. Be a while before I can use the wood, though.

1 Like

smokin in the boys room ?