Greg’s [Watertown MA]; Sophia’s [Belmont MA]

Mom and dad are visiting from NY. I dropped Spring Onion at a friend’s in Watertown so I took m+d for a short walk at Fresh Pond and then lunch at Greg’s, a place that always piqued my curiosity but have never checked out. It was just our speed. They seated the older folks in the back room, while the front room seemed a bit more lively. They both had the chicken dumpling soup, and I the corn chowder. Scali bread to start. Mom had chicken parm, dad had the broiled scrod, and I got the white clam sauce on linguine. Inexpensive, friendly service, just-right portions. Cheap red by the glass was welcomed.

IMG_5887

IMG_5886

IMG_5884

IMG_5888

IMG_5889

IMG_5890

Some intel @Parsnipity. We stopped by Sophia’s for yogurt and I mentioned casually to the yogurt counter guys about Oya offering Sophia’s. Well, they corrected me and then Sophia, who was working behind them said that Oya is absolutely NOT offering Sophia’s yogurt. Her son is no longer associated with the new place and that we have to spread the word that Oya is not associated with Sophia’s. They thanked me repeatedly for letting them know and that we needed to correct that.

ETA: Sophia was LIVID. And that’s an understatement.

9 Likes

Fascinating! Thanks for the insight. It’s Opa though- Oya is very different!

I haven’t run out of my Pemberton-purchased Sophia’s yogurt but when I do , I will put on some dark glasses and head to Opa to investigate!

1 Like

I meant Opa! Not gonna correct my post. She knew the place I was talking about and mentioned potential legal action so she’s seriously not effing around!

1 Like

Love the intrigue! Keep us peeps posted please.

2 Likes

if you’re. in davis square, bhead up to ball square: , neighborhood produce has sophia’s.

1 Like

I guess her son could buy Sophia’s yogurt at Pemberton to serve at his restaurant!

It’s surprising to hear someone who falsely advertised their yogurt as low fat for years rattling their sword about legal action. The yogurt is good, but there’s always interesting stuff going around around around the periphery with Sophia’s.

3 Likes

That whole episode was hilarious. Straight out of a Seinfeld episode.

3 Likes

Didn’t some chowhound send the yogurt out for fat-content testing?

2 Likes

yes, I remember the “exposé” report on Chowhound. It’s so rich and delicious I always suspected it wasn’t low fat. The reporter also made claims about the origin of Sophia’s yogurt. It is the best yogurt I’ve ever tasted.

2 Likes

Apparently. Referenced here a several years ago.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/sophia-s-greek-pantry-belmont-and-lowell-ma/16337/14

1 Like

Yes, as I recall, there was a lab test for fat content.