Greek Meatballs

I’ve never made Greek Meatballs, only Italian. I saw this recipe on Instagram and it calls for grated, drained raw potato but no egg, no bread crumbs.

Here’s another from Recipe Tin Eats that seems more customary:

I was thinking of sort of combining them.

Another recipe says to use half as much regular mint than spearmint because there’s a difference.

What do you think?

1 Like

I don’t use mint at all (I just don’t like it). The potato version is intriguing, and I’ll have to try it.

I had great results cooking Greek meatballs in the air fryer. About 10 minutes at 400F crisped up the outside and left the inside tender.

I just noticed this comment on the recipetineats blog:

Kary Onisforou

July 17, 2022 at 8:24 am

I’m a 65 year old Greek Australian with a passion for cooking. I’ve written cook books and know I’m a good cook. However yours are the only recipes I follow as you seem to have researched all your recipes to produce the best recipes. I always check your recipes when I’m cooking something I’ve cooked for 50 years so they must be pretty good. Well done.
Please don’t print my name.

UH OH

I make kofta frequently, which may (or may not?) be considered Greek-ish . FWIW, here’s my base recipe (although if you’re a fan of coriander, add that, too):

1 lb. ground lamb
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. grated onion
3 T. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 T. ground cinnamon
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground allspice
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1/4 c. (up to 1/2 c.) bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. pine nuts (optional)
2 T. currants (optional)

4 Likes

Have any of you Greek cooks made these with grated raw potatoes?