Greek, Balkan and/or Turkish restaurants, bars, coffee shops, groceries and bakeries in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area [Danforth] [Scarborough] [Ossington]

My wife has eaten here but I haven’t made it yet. Missed it when we were roaming around Kensington recently as it opens later.

1 Like

Just tried Myth. Following your lead, we skipped the dips and octopus, got the lobster and tried some other things. Service was very good. Our main server was very friendly and helpful. Some of the dishes had some changes that weren’t indicated on the menu and he went back to the kitchen to follow up on our questions. The sommelier helped pick a lovely wine for us (a bottle of Moulasia, a Macedonian white - floral and green apple with some creaminess, shifting into stone fruits a bit later) and then gave us some free tastes of another excellent wine (High Peaks Muscat, Samos - floral and honey, yet very dry) because he figured we might like it.

Lavraki crudo - sea bass ceviche, watermelon, cilantro, fennel, cucumber, dehydrated olive, deep fried capers - very fresh, light, with nice hits of different flavours from the olive bits.

Kalamari sti skara - beluga lentils, cherry tomato, EVOO, grilled lemon - perfectly cooked squid pairing nicely with the lentils.

Beef carpaccio - AAA beef, whipped kefalograviera, citrus salt, watercress, pine nuts - a nice variation with the dollops of cheese.

Lamb Hilopites - slow cooked lamb shoulder, lemon, graviera, pappardelle - wonderful dish, beautifully done pasta and meat that tasted like preserved lemon.

Lobster Yiouvetsi - orzo, lobster chunks, lobster bisque, cherry tomatoes, green onions, ginger, lemon - delicious and rich (get the half portion, it will be enough).

Yogourt mousse, Greek honey, roasted pecan, strawberries - pleasant but not particularly memorable.

Bougatsa: semolina custard, phyloo, chocolate sauce - yummy, if a bit sweet.

3 Likes

I want to visit Pasaj soon. https://pasajtoronto.com/

Also , Galata

http://galatarestaurant.ca/

Urla, an upscale Turkish shop

3 Likes

Thanks to @rstuart for the heads up about this place on College at Euclid. Baklava, coffee, loukum (Turkish delight), kunefe.

Liu Loqum
http://liuloqum.ca/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoDlyz7oDC0

2 Likes

Tried the Mamakas prix fix lunch /brunch good stuff as the portions were regular size for the app and the fish main so bring an appetite

3 Likes

Tried Istanbul fine foods for delivery hmm wasn’t expecting Mustafa level so I guess it’s ok better than a regular grocery store but don’t think I will order again. Sujuck pide and lahmahchun

2 Likes

This place looks good.

1 Like

My friends from Turkiye shop here also on UberEATS I recall

2 Likes
3 Likes

Our Spot in Kensington Market on Baldwin (which was Greek-owned, the owners’ parents had run Zorba’s on Danforth) has closed , and a Doner spot is taking its place.

1 Like

The imported Turkish baklava and kataifi at Loqum Liu on College St is excellent but expensive. $59.90/ kg

2 Likes

I guess the Akropolis Bakery at 708 Danforth and some other establishments like the Eton House will be razed by the city, in case anyone wants some Akropolis Bakery Tiropita or Spanakopita before it’s gone. I don’t know if they will re-open elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/ConsumerSOS/status/1681844324504354817?s=20

1 Like

I thought Akropolis was pretty good, but haven’t been in many years.

1 Like

I admit, I’m a snob when it comes to spanakopita from bakeries, because I make my own.

Akropolis is quite good. I like their spanakopita a little more than Athens’ version. For sweets, I tend to shop at Serano.

If you purchase their frozen pies, brush with melted butter before baking, and they will taste much better. All the Greek bakeries skimp on the butter in their filo pies.
Akropolis also used to sell pretty good pizza by the slice. My friend is an orthodontist on the same block, and Akropolis was her go-to for a quick lunch!

1 Like

I have been meaning to check out the hot table at Cosmos Agora for a while, good to know it is worth going to.

1 Like

Makdeli, European, Deli, Toronto, Burek, Cevapi, Toronto

Great burek and cevapi, also second Cosmos Agora for all things Greek, their chicken gyros on a pita is delicious.

2 Likes

I returned to Bar Koukla for brunch a couple weeks ago. It isn’t that great. Expensive for what it is. The scrambled egg on my dakos (toast, rather than a proper Cretan dakos rusk) was beautifully folded , a little like an Australian folded egg, but the egg was undercooked/ a little runny.

I don’t think I’ll go back.

I haven’t been to Mamakas since 2015. I will probably go there next time, for lunch.

1 Like

Agora doesn’t make a proper Frappe. The woman taking the order didn’t know what I was talking about when I ordered it medium sweet with milk. It’s supposed to be made with imported Greek Nescafé, and evaporated milk. This thing was made of espresso, fresh milk, and it looked like she used a milkshake machine to grind ice. Thanos Tripi owns Agora, Mamakas and Bar Koukla. Not sure what is going on at Agora.
I bought 2 dips, the melitzanasalata and tzatziki, which were $12 each. I will report back after I try them. 2 dips and the coffee came to just under $36, which is ridiculous.

Kafe Daki makes a bad frappe, as well. I will try Filosophy on Bloor at some point. I rarely travel east of Yonge these days, and I was hoping to have a Greek Frappe before summer is over. I might have to head to Greektown. :joy:

Athens Pastries, 521, Café Serano and most Greek restaurants on the Danforth and on Pape make a proper frappe.

1 Like

The melitzanasalata was good, but a different version than is more typical in restaurants. This one has walnuts. Improved with a little lemon juice, but good as it is.

Great tzatziki from Agora.

On the topic of Greek dips, I recommend the Better Than YiaYia’s tzatziki. I don’t like the Better Than YiaYia’s version of kopanisti (feta hot pepper dip). It contains yogurt and has a bitter/sour note I don’t like.

1 Like