Great Mongolia Nomads Restaurant, [SF Richmond District]

Tried this place tonight after I’d passed it previously when going to the Korean bbq place across Geary. They had carried over the sushi from the previous restaurant in this space, but have since stopped making sushi (although the menu they hand you is still labeled “sushi menu” on the cover despite the contents being only Mongolian dishes).

I was eating solo, so only ordered one item: the jimbii, which I don’t recall seeing before at other Mongolian places like Mongol Cafe in the TL. This was very tender pieces of bone-in lamb, apparently steamed, and laid in a muttony broth with carrots, potatoes, and scallions (maybe also onion) and a sheet of wheat noodle on top. I added a little salt - the chef’s hand with it was surprisingly light, which I didn’t mind. The couple eating next to me got the UB salad (which wikipedia suggests stems from, and is virtually identical to, the Russian olivie salad) and the huushuur, a golden brown fried beef pancake. Both looked good.

They also make khorkhog, the Mongolian BBQ cooked with hot stones, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen on a menu. It takes them 90-120 minutes to make it, so probably wise to call ahead for this.

If you enjoy a simple, hearty cuisine like Mongolian food, I think this restaurant is worth a try.

6 Likes