GRATIN - Fall 2023 (Oct-Dec) Dish of the Quarter

Is eggplant parm a gratin? Maybe!

IMG_1049

12 Likes

I think it is!

2 Likes

My favorite recipe for fancy potato gratin is from Yotam Ottolenghi, with potatoes, apples, caramelized onions, gruyere, brandy, butter and thyme.

On a daily basis, I’m most likely to make Ina Gartin’s spinach gratin (referenced up thread), or a simple potato gratin with spuds, olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper and chicken stock. Today I made both.

14 Likes

Yum

1 Like

I’d happily dive into both of those!!

1 Like

Thank you - they were/are good!

I’m thinking I need a bigger gratin pan, however, as I’d like to get a few more leftovers out of the potato dish. I ran the idea by Santa last night, who was not at all opposed.

3 Likes

How handy to have Santa available for quick consults!!! :wink:

Do you use a mandoline for the potatoes or do you have mad knife skills?

1 Like

Lol! A mandaloin makes pretty fast work of it.

I have a fancy French mandolin for big projects, but for something like this my go-to is a relatively inexpensive Japanese Benriner veggie slicer (old style - no handle).

Quick to pull out of a drawer (I keep it wrapped - that blade is sharp), and easy to clean. I’ve learned the hard way to always use a cutting glove (easily rinses clean when done).

3 Likes

What constitutes a ‘gratin’ vs. a ‘casserole’ with topping?

I think a gratin requires layering, but it is a type of casserole.

A gratin is shallow layering topped with cheese or bread crumbs or both. A casserole doesn’t need to be layered or shallow or topped with anything.???/

Apparently so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Japanese gratins

1 Like

The voting for the November COTM is happening now. Please join us!

1 Like

Since I originally nominated the DOTQ, it was about high time I participated. And so, instead of making my usual roasted fennel with parm I made a fennel gratin.

By the by (and since I’m new to the DOTQ threads… are we just supposed to share recipe links here, or recipes we cooked, or?)

In any event, no recipe to share except I used 3/4 cup heavy cream seasoned with tarragon, s&p that I poured over the sliced fennel in a buttered pan, then topped with grated parm and breadcrumbs. Baked at 375 for roughly 45 minutes. Not exactly rocket surgery, but quite the success - at least according to our dinner guest.

TBH, I found it a bit on the rich side & might go with less cream next time around.

9 Likes

That does look share worthy!

1 Like

I made a classic potato gratin, it’s layered with a bechamel sauce that includes cream cheese and dried herbs and there’s a sneaky layer of caramelised onions in the middle of it all. It’s topped with Gruyère, Cheddar and Grana Padano. It was really good, but unfortunately any potato gratin in our home is mine alone. My partner is not a fan of the cream and potato. He loved the cheese and potato layer though.

10 Likes

Nominations are open for the December COTM. Please join us!

1 Like

I was planning to make a Brussels sprouts gratin last night (lightly sauteed shredded BS doused in cream, covered in parmesan and baked), but discovered after I had shredded and sauteed the sprouts that my cream had gone off. I considered just serving them as is, but really had gratin on the brain, so I decided to replace the cream with a mixture of ricotta cheese and half and half, seasoned with thyme and lemon zest. Probably not something I’d make again, but not a total fail. The ricotta mixture kind of dried out and left me with some fluffy curds amid the sprouts, but the flavor was good, and of course the parmesan crust on top covered a multitude of sins. I may turn some of the leftovers into a quiche fiilling or something.

2 Likes