Goofing around with knife shape

Yeah. I believe you bought a few. Good to know that they are in good use.

2 Likes

Yes, wasn’t it the Wusthof? I thought that left you with your Shun Hikari, your new Kramer, and another (unknown?) with a triple-riveted wood handle?

Oh! LOL. From the MiB movies? :laughing:

There are a few gyutos in shorter (180mm/7.1") lengths that might be comfortable for you. But really, if you’re happy with your santokus, then there’s no need to buy. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Close! “Independence Day”.

3 Likes

Same thing when I’m breaking down subprimals. If I’m deep inside running a seam to pull out a whole muscle intact, I’m using a small paring knife. Then a bigger chefs or whatever to portion the freed-up pieces.

I used to just attack them with two large knives but finally figured out I’m a lot faster with a small knife on the inside/deep work. Not that I’m very fast in any event… but it helps.

2 Likes

Do you ever use a boning knife?

That (6-inch boning knife) was one of the two (or sometimes 3) knives I’d use on large pieces of beef, or for a largish pork shoulder trying to get the shoulder blade and (if present, rib bones) out without messing up the coppa or other muscles too much. I found I have better control with the short paring knife - maybe like @shrinkrap says, having the tip closer to my hand is what helps.

I still use the boning knife for parting turkey and chickens. I like the flex of it especially when trying to get breast halves off cleanly with little left on the rib section, and having it flex when cutting off the thighs also helps because I never seem to hit the spot exactly right.

2 Likes

@Eiron - very clean job on the makeover. But I’m curious how’d she crack the handle? Does she put it in the dishwasher?

1 Like

Thanks.

For those who don’t own (or want to own) much beyond a chef and a paring, the latter makes a lot of sense, especially if it’s long enough. A petty is another step closer to ideal, although there may be too much height. The boning knife, in various lengths and degrees of flex is better and more versatile than any of these for boning.

‘Various’ begs another question: Do you use a belt scabbard when you’re breaking down your subprimals?

1 Like

You’re on the road to “getting it.”

1 Like

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t know what her care and maintenance regimen has been (other than the typical, “I’ve never sharpened any of my knives!”). She doesn’t currently have a dishwasher, but might have earlier in the knife’s life. Both sides exhibit similar cracks. It’s not a premium quality knife, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the handle material was selected solely on lowest cost rather than any level of durability.

1 Like

Certainly, a knife that’s never used will never help you prepare a meal or improve your skills.

Being so loudly anti-equipment, why would anyone be motivated to give you a single knife (much less “more than I can count”) when you clearly don’t value receiving them? I’m guessing you’re not asking for them, right?

Well, this is the Cookware Forum. Realistically, what sort of topics do you expect to find in the Cookware Forum if not topics about cookware?

2 Likes

I’ve seen short boning/trimming knives (2-3/4" to 3-3/4") that have the traditional boning knife profile. Would that profile provide any advantage over a paring knife?

1 Like

LOL, I have a whole box of boning knives that have been used, ground and sharpened down to stubbies!

2 Likes

Cool! Do they flex like a boning knife?

The ones that are born flexible do.

But that’s only one hemisphere of boning knives. The other is of stiff varieties.

1 Like

I have a little Wustof like that. I love it for doing intricate Trimming Off Stuff.

1 Like

Yah, Cuisinart branded. Who knows who actually made it. I’ve sharpened 22 knives in the last 2 days and my Arthur Rightes is a-feelin’ it. My oldest daughter “upgraded” from a KitchenAid block set to a Chicago Cutlery block set when she got married a bit under 2 years ago (I think the KA set may have been her husband’s prior set). They gave the KA block set to my 2nd daughter when we got them moved into town last week - Daughter 2 lives only about 1.5 hrs away and visits often.

Both sets were dull AF, most especially all 12 steak knives were barely in shape to tackle a stick of butter. I guess from more frequent ceramic plate contact.

Guess what knives of theirs weren’t very dull and just needed a honing to pull the edge back? Both of their Zwilling Pro-S chef’s knives. Which they use the most often. (I’ve gotten all 3 daughters one of these as they’ve gone off to college because it’s what they’re used to using here at home. They’re not too expensive but they’ll last a lifetime and stay sharp for a goodly period, with honing.)

1 Like

I’m thinking about it but I’m not sure. Like Kaleo says, I do have some old paring knives (ca. 1940s-1950s) that have been harshly sharpened so much that they now have what’s close to that trad boning knife shape, but are paring knife length.

I rarely reach for them, though - probably just because they were not terribly sharp when I got them, and I do find sharpening that boning knife type of profile to be a pain. I do keep my 6-inch boning knife sharp but it is a bit more work than the regular shapes, especially keeping the tip sharp I find bothersome.

2 Likes