GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

@Sandymctyre Suggest you start a new thread for recommendations.

Noted, thank you.

Foxface Natural. Former fancy sandwich place, current fancy not sandwich place. Of particular note, the shrimp (and their heads), the striper head, and the asparagus gelato with pink pepper and almond meringue. But it was all good. I ate way too much.

8 Likes

This was a very good meal & I highly recommend going. Since the owners are friends, & some of what we had was comp’ed, I’ll refrain from more review so that no one thinks I’m shilling.

2 Likes

Which?

Foxface.

1 Like

Looks like a place to try to visit on our next trip to Manhattan.

:laughing: are they open to general public now?

Yes. Reservations via Resy.

You will not be sorry.

i dont understand the utility of this thread vs individual threads. what is the rationale?

5 Likes

It’s a Greatest Hits. I run blanket threads on the r Toronto board for Japanese, French, Balkan food, for when I post about 1 or 2 items or a new opening. I sometimes add links to more comprehensive posts about one restaurant. I don’t tend to write long posts and I don’t tend to read other people’s very long posts about single restaurants.

A month-based rather than year-based blanket thread might serve us better.

2 Likes

I don’t keep a time frame for the blanket lists I start (patios, take-out, cheap eats, desserts, specific cuisines), but the Toronto/ Ontario board also gets less traffic.

I find threads too long once there are more than around 50 replies.

Monthly or quarterly Greatest Hits probably would work better in NYC.

1 Like

Because sometimes people are too lazy to create a new thread.

Count me as one of those.

1 Like

my objection is more about lack of metadata than the size of the thread. individual threads get tagged with borough (i think), so one could ostensibly run a search for queens restaurants.

i wonder how hard it would be to have logic to automatically tag restaurants with some degree of accuracy.

1 Like

Or maybe just use the search function?

CTRL-F (PC) or Command F (Mac)

how will the search function understand the borough of a restaurant if it’s not tagged? for threads it gets tagged for replies it’s not. for example, look at the (excellent) foxface review above, how will the forum search function for restaurants in manhattan return foxface?

perhaps we need a thread per borough…

1 Like

That’s where Google comes in.

site:hungryonion.org manhattan foxface

3 Likes

Um, right, if you know the name of the restaurant you are wondering about, but if you are looking for general recommendations in a borough, or even in the city, this thread has just gotten waaay to long to read through, IMO. I have eaten at a number of places over the time of this thread and haven’t written anything about them because I wasn’t sure if I should write new thread, or just add to this.