GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

Do whatever you want. I don’t need to be a part of it.

1 Like

Nobody is forcing you to.
Nor to drop by and dump on it.

Search works when you know just what to search.

If we end up with 10k individual threads for nyc restaurants, isn’t the only way to find information through search and wont users need to know just what to search? It’s not like there’s a data governance team adding tags to posts to facilitate searching.

I do agree individual restaurant threads facilitate following replies on a particular restaurant but in a post-chowhound world, I’ve come to think about blanket threads as a free-wheeling conversation as opposed to a structured, searchable research platform.

Best,

1 Like

I think if a restaurant garners a lot of chatter, it should get its own thread. But most of what’s on here are one and done.

1 Like

As we’ve discussed before, this thread exists for the casual ate-something-but-don’t-feel-like-starting-a-whole-thread-about-it bites, and has certainly generated discussion and banter where little was there.

The search function here is vastly better than chowhound’s was (which people may have forgotten about — it was virtually impossible to find anything, starting with one’s own posts).

Narrowing down search here even a bit helps a lot but takes a bit of practice (things like occurs in title, category, even a username if you remember someone mentioning something).

The only issue I’ve encountered is that the first instance of a search term in a long thread (like this one) comes back on a general search, not all instances. But if one searches again within the thread, the rest of them do show up.

1 Like

Linking the current (2024) thread again:

I agree but at this point, don’t really care, I had many of the same objections expressed by Dave and others but have come to appreciate the fast and loose nature of posting in the blanket thread.

modern indexing and search technology has changed the way we organize knowledge repositories and there’s always going to be give and take btw relying on formal metadata and structure vs index/search. To my eye, AI assisted search is poised to move the needle again in favor of search.

Finally, i’d guess there’s an age bias at play here where younger technologists design as much as possible towards index/search.

Best,
Ps apologies, this was not reallly all directed at you but thought I’d put it out there.

1 Like

Do people not realize the title of this thread?

GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

I don’t care if a person is 10 years old or 100 years old, or prefers each restaurant to have its own individual thread, and each ingredient its own board, this thread is titled “A Blanket Thread”.

Which means the very quiddity of this thread is an omnibus compendium, if not an omnipresent collection of everything and anything. A catch-all if you will.

Coming into this thread and complaining that there are too many different restaurants mentioned is like going to the beach and complaining there’s too much sand.

At the point it’s a “you” problem, and not a beach problem.

Sorry, rant over.

Carry on.

4 Likes

I’m guessing that I should stop waiting for my expected discussion of edible blankets and where to find them? Well, maybe in the 2024 thread?

2 Likes

Are those a NYC specialty? Never heard of them, but perhaps they’ve been touched on in the new thread :woman_shrugging:t2:

Old school: Pigs in…

Some people find them edible. :wink:

1 Like

But @SteveR didn’t mention any pigs. I mean, I’ve seen what kind of nonsense food can be turned into, but edible blankets are new to me.

1 Like

See thread title.

tenor-112829464

Me?

No, the other person.

Sorry. I’m hereby offering a blanket apology.

1 Like

but is it edible?

Only if he eats his words.

2 Likes

Aw. Thanks so much for the kind explanation, as ever.