" GOLDEN PIGLET, Cantonese Roasted Meat Speciality Eatery, Richmond Hill " - A new 'baby' on the block who might need to endure some growing pains!

Located in the same strip plaza as ’ Chi-star '. The chef/owner of this newly opened business apparently was a former BBQ chef of ’ Excellent BBQ ’ just up the road. Unlike ‘Excellent’ , ‘Golden Piglet’ offers a huge sit-down space for dine-in patrons

Selection of roasted meat and marinated offal products offered, enclosed in glass display enclosures, were quite comprehensive and impressive looking!

For my initial taste test trial, I chose their Roasted Crispy Skin, Belly/Ribs Pork and a Bento box of Cantonese Roasted Duck on rice. Crackling of the pork was superb, the meat sweet, juicy and moist. Sadly, major wood charred-aroma was disappointingly deficient. Duck was acceptable but average, flavour profile and seasoning rather one-dimensional and lacking in complexity.

Overall quality, though good and acceptable, was nothing to shout about… a near reflection of its competitor/distant cousin just up the hill inside Richlane mall.

For me, my favourite go-to place is still 'Tong-Ha ’ inside Silver Star boulevard food court, though the drive is kind of long and the gasoline price premium is quite hefty! Ha!

7 Likes

Nice, need to try this place! Do they have ‘pei pa’ duck? One of the best ones I’ve had was at John’s BBQ on HWY7 but it was a bit hefty in price and actually quite a few years ago.

For roast pork, I really like 錦香 (Kum Hong) at the Valleymede plaza

1 Like