"Goat" looking for goat dishes anywhere in Westchester, Putnam, Rockland counties, NY

Can be any type of cuisine or prep … only requirement, that it taste good!

Oh this is such a great question!!!

I love goat and it’s rare to see on a menu here. I will never forget the goat tacos I had in a Mexican place in Chicago. Hope someone knows where to find some of those!

1 Like

Me Too!

1 Like

@chowdom, you probably already know this since you recommended this place to me, but Tacos El Poblano in downtown Yonkers has delicious goat tacos (and presumably would be willing to use the same filling in a burrito, or as a platter, etc.). I would assume La Fonda Poblana next door will also serve goat once it reopens (it may have already; we haven’t been down there since November but the construction was definitely not close to completion at that point). I also posted about a special they were offering in November called Huaxmole, which is a goat stew - I wish I had tried it! It’s a seasonal dish, so I don’t know if it is still on the menu, but I will definitely make an effort to seek it out next fall.

We haven’t found a go-to Indian restaurant up here yet, but a brief search of the nearby places shows that they mostly serve lamb, not goat. These are the times when I really miss living in Queens!

3 Likes

Goat can be delicious! As mentioned here, your best bets would be Indian, Mexican and Jamaican eateries. Just give them a call…
Cravin Jamaican Restaurant in Ossining offers curried goat.

The Hummingbird in Cortlandt (right off the Bear Mt Expwy) -a really awesome Jamaican place - has curried goat that’s delicious, along with their other dishes and beef patties (my all time favorite).

3 Likes

Now that sounds like a real Jamaican place! Goats Head soup, Cow Cod soup, Ackee and Salt Fish, Callaloo, Goat curry, Oxtail, and all those drinks. Sounds good.

http://thehummingbirdcortlandt.com/

2 Likes

I know where we’re getting lunch the next time we go to Bear Mountain!

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It is truly jamaican. A real treat having it in upper Westchester/Putnam- I usually had to trek to Mt Vernon for my fix. They even have Irish moss and peanut punch to wash it all down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was considering Ripe, in Mt. Vernon. A little more upscale than the typical take out joint, they have been around for a long time and goat has always been on their menu. I have been to too many small take out places in Yonkers and surrounds to mention but nothing has been so great that I remember it … lately it’s been Indian buffets … really want to broaden DH’s horizons as he has decided he loves goat! Definitely going to Hummingbird!!!

1 Like

Awesome. Hope you enjoy it! One of those local gems that I hope stays around forever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this looks great. Can’t wait to give it a try. Question… is the curry very spicy?

I didn’t find it overly spicy, but then again, I love “jamaican spicy.” :slight_smile: If you go, ask for a taste first just to see if it’s too much spice for you - the staff is very sweet.

1 Like

I think Golden Krust has goat on their menu- White Plains,New Rochelle, Mt.Vernon (?)

1 Like

I recently tried The Hummingbird and was underwhelmed with their jerk chicken. I got the small portion, and got like 3 pieces of plantain, a bunch of rice (more than anything else), and a quarter chicken. The chicken didn’t have much in the way of seasoning on it, certainly nothing compared to the jerk chicken wings I get at Chow’s Caribbean Chicken in Ossining which are slathered with jerk seasoning. They gave me a container of sauce originally which didn’t have much in the way of heat, but when I asked for another to take with the leftover rice, I was given something rather incendiary.

The owner might have gotten pissed at me since I was telling one of his customers about Chow’s (but it’s not like it was that close). He didn’t seem all that friendly, although he was with other people.

I do have to get back to Chow’s for their wings and cornbread. No goat, however.