Go Nutz

I realize he’s talking about the pronunciation “in California”, but even so, if I’m reading that article correctly, the author is saying that 70% of even almond growers pronounce it with the L ?. That seems really strange to me, since I can’t recall (iny 56 years of life) ever hearing anyone pronounce it that way… native (US) English speaker or otherwise. (Though never having heard a California native pronounce “amond”, maybe it’s different than what I  think of as “almond with a silent L”? L is a funny sound, and I guess it’s possible what I think of as L-less-almond really has a very faint “swallowed”/laryngeal L tucked in between the A and the M… )

That possibility aside, I wonder if there’s a regional aspect to that? I’ve lived my whole life on the Atlantic coastline in between Cape Cod and Philadelphia, mostly in NYC. But thinking back to the old “sometimes you feel like a nut” Almond Joy TV commercials, even they pronounced it “amond” as far as I can remember. And while I guess there could’ve been regional variations of it, that does seem to suggest the L-less pronunciation is (or at least was) pretty widespread…

I think you’re right about the strangled L in almond. That’s a more accurate description of how I pronounce it. Long Island speech is now different than when I grew up there ( I’m 70; an eastward exodus from Brooklyn and Queens has since brought an accent to Nassau County). Lived in western NY briefly, but most of my life in the Boston area, studiously avoiding adoption of its accent.

1 Like

Huh. More, or maybe different, newness. Pronouncing the second syllable “end” would certainly be totally new to me, I’ve always heard that  pronounced with what is conventionally called a “short U” in English, or schwa…

FWIW my Mom was born and raised in NYC and she always pronounced the “L”. Of course her mother was from England so that could have had an influence.

A “definite” L (for lack of a better term, like the L in Allman), or a sort of “swallowed” L that “makes its presence known” without sounding like a clear L? (Fwiw, both of my parents were also born and raised here, and they both pronounce(d) it the way I do, without a distinctly discernable L. )

As best I can remember (it’s been 20 years) she said “ahlmunds”. It wasn’t Almunds where the ‘al’ is like the man’s name Al.

1 Like