[Glasgow] Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, pub, sandwich, and vegan food

I should have written this sooner, because my Glasgow trip was at the end of February and my memory is fading. I didn’t take detailed notes and I didn’t take any food photos, and for most of the meals I was more focused on the company than on the food. However, hopefully the below will be helpful to some.

Nippon Kitchen, 91 West George Street, G2 1PB (website): Vegetable gyoza were OK but a bit too greasy. Sushi selection was very rice-heavy, with lots of large inside-out rolls, and nothing special in terms of quality. Service was helpful and friendly, though, and they did well to squeeze our party of seven in on a Saturday night without a booking.

Chinatown Kitchen, 42-46 New City Road, G4 9JT (website): I’ve reported on this previously over at Chowhound, and little has changed. It’s a good-enough old-school dim sum place.

(I note in passing that a modern dim sum restaurant called Dim Sum Restaurant has opened at 69 West Nile Street, G1 2QB [website]. It appears to be a Ping Pong-esque type of place, and hence likely of little interest aside from the amusement factor of steamed haggis dumplings.)

Bon Accord, 153 North Street, G3 7DA (website). Standard pub food done decently if unexcitingly. Breaded haddock was fine but a little too greasy. The big draw here is the 10 handpumps serving real ales and ciders.

Social Bite, 5 Bothwell Street, G2 6NL (and other locations) (website). Standard pre-made sandwich shop that works as a social enterprise supporting homeless and formerly-homeless people. A falafel wrap was fine; the falafel weren’t too dry, the wrap was fresh, and there was the right amount of salad.

Mono, 12 King’s Court, G1 5RB (website). Vegan cafe/bar. Tofu banh mi was competently done, with well-flavoured smoked tofu, a good-quality baguette, and a kick of heat from the sriracha mayonnaise.

Master Sun’s Hotpot, 87 Cambridge Street, G3 6RU. Chinese hotpot on the ground floor, Korean food on the mezzanine. Pan-fried dumplings were good, packed with garlic chives. Japchae was well-flavoured and had a good mix of noodles, vegetables, and meat. This was my favourite meal of the weekend. (All the other customers appeared to be students; aside from the chef, I’m pretty sure I was the oldest person in there by at least 15 years.)

On my next trip I hope to try out one or more of:

• Sichuan House, 345-349 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3HW
  • Dumpling Inn, 325 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3HW
  • Crabshakk, 1114 and 1132 Argyle Street, G3 8TD
  • Café Cossachok, 10 King Street, G1 5QP

I’d be very interested to hear of any eat-in African places in the city. Last year I found a Nigerian takeaway (Cuisine Africana, 484 Duke Street, G31 1QF) but that’s not ideal when you’re staying in a hotel.

2 Likes

Good post, Kake.

And good for Social Bite. I’ve been in a cafe in Rye (Sussex) that’s staffed by youngsters with learning difficulties. These are all good projects that deserve wider publicity and greater public support.

So here’s some wider publicity - http://www.c-o-t.org.uk/our-services/our-enterprises/mariners-tea-rooms#_=_

1 Like

Thanks, Harters! I think we used to have something similar in London, called Cafe Arlington, but I don’t know if it still exists.