Gladys Bourdain, Anthony Bourdain’s Mother and Champion, Has Died

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I didn’t know about Gladys Bourdain before, and now I can see how she helped her son find his calling.

2 Likes

All my deepest condolences to the family and dear ones of the The Bourdain family.

1 Like

So incredible pain to survive her son.

2 Likes

Such incredible pain to survive her son. But then a gift, she doesn’t have to grieve any longer. My mother is still grieving the loss of one of my brothers, I answered the phone heard her primal scream when the San Diego’s coroners office called to tell us to tell us he died a homeless Navy vet in a hotel room from an alcohol and drug overdose. He was a 25 year vet.

6 Likes

Don’t know if this posted but my brother was Master Chief Petty Officer. Enlisted man with balls and the most entuhusistic cook I’ve ever known. Ate sushi for weeks because of him. But now he’ gone and I’lll never hug I’m again. Makes me tearful.

6 Likes

I “liked” this lacking a more fitting option, though what I really want to say is that I feel for you and your family. May the good remain with you and bring peace.

4 Likes

Part of living is dealing with death.
It makes us human and reflective and better able to appreciate the good times.
Cheers, retrospek.
:slight_smile:
Sounds like your brother was a great guy.
I’m always amazed at how much food plays a role in families and the history and warm memories shared .

6 Likes

I liked this detail from end of the piece:

In 2018, Anthony Bourdain died from suicide. According to the Times , Gladys recalled her son, who was heavily tattooed, with a fitting tribute: “Ms. Bourdain memorialized her son with a tattoo of his name on her wrist — her first and only tattoo.”

1 Like

I’m so sorry about your brother @retrospek. I hope you are able to embrace your good memories of him and draw comfort from that. So sad to lose a loved one before their time, and truly tragic when parents outlive their children.

2 Likes