Ghost In The Machine - GE Cafe oven doing eerie stuff

Mostly for me, it’s just the tinker’s nature. But I gave up on it and am happy with 550 (or 30-40 more, playing with the calibration).

As if maybe obvious from the pics, I’m not too great at circular.

This reminds me that I really need to capture a pic or two of the next time I make a Neapolitan style crust. I’ve been using the “Chain Baker” biga method and it’s really nice.

6 Likes

I want to do a face plant onto that top pic. Oooohhhh!

1 Like

Mebbe let it cool a bit first, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CCE
my best “tool” for circular is a tapered aka French rolling pin.
the taper ‘auto-guides’ the pin in a circular path -
the larger diameter in the middle allows me to accurately push the dough out in one direction if needed to make round…

I also cheat . . . got some 16" pre-cut-round parchment paper(s) - great for using as a guide for “round” and “size”
[[Amazon - a few pennies more than using parchment off a roll…]]

this pix is flammkuechen - it’s an unleavened dough, - but shows the stone/parchment round/pie relation.

2 Likes

Thanks. I generally just push it around with my fingers rather than a rolling pin because I’m trying (sometimes with more, or less, success) to preserve some of the gas/puff at the periphery. I’ve seen the tapered pins on cooking shows, and I’d guess that with some practice one could use it and still not flatten the periphery too much?

I had to look up your unleavened dough and recipes using it, and it looks like it’d be fun to try. Not sure why, exactly, but it looks like it’d be really adaptable to ATK’s “breakfast pizza” recipe.

absolutely. the debate about spinning, finger pressing expansion, rolling pin . . . rages on and on. done the finger thing - mucho tricky to maintain thickness. settled on the rolling pin method.
outer areas where the pin flattens the dough ‘too much’ are easily ‘corrected’ with some edge pinching,

“flammkuchen” was originally the method to test if the community ‘hive oven’ was hot enough to do the weekly bread bake. toss in some (thin) dough, see how it ‘baked’ - evolved into a ‘kids’ treat’ while still serving as an oven temperature gauge pre-industrial “instrumentation”

flammkuchen - dead simple. dough, creme fraiche, speck, onion of choice - leek, scallion, etc etc - more imaginative ingredients used today . . . but are not true to the original concept . . .

historically - the more simpler, the more authentic - such simple prevailed even into the 1960’s in small villages where once-a-week community baking was ‘the thing’ - where I first encountered it . . .

it’s a forgotten ueber luscious “sorta’ pizza” thing.
but like way quicker since it does not require a rising time.

2 Likes

My favorite mechanic paid a visit today to investigate the terrible sound in the dryer. As I suspected it was an issue with the drum, a screw had come loose. He had visited a few years ago for a similar issue; that time the screw came from ‘someones’ pocket. The 30+ year old Maytag got a good interior vacuuming from the two of us and I gave the drum front cover a good wipe down. The bad news was that it was discovered the belt was beginning to crack and needed replacement sooner than later. 34 years on 1 belt! He didn’t have that particular belt in the truck and could get it next week but with his hectic schedule (so many people have moved into the area and even as the repair company has grown, they are having difficulty keeping up) it can’t get installed for abou 2-1/2 weeks. We’re okay with that because I did a s#*t load of laundry needing the dryer early this week and we use a drying rack for almost everything except jeans and undies. I’ll have to hunt down a laundromat in the area. The last one here was turned into a meat market/butcher. Oh, his recommendation for any laundry machinery is still the Speed Queen brand. He says they are made like appliances used to be and are easy to fix IF there is a breakdown.
Keep that in mind.

5 Likes

Wow - 34 years on a Maytag dryer and a simple belt will keep it going strong. Lucky you. We average a new washer and dryer every 10 years or so. Different brands. Our washer went kaput last year and I decided on a Maytag for the first time. Can you believe I probably picked one of the few washing machine models left in the world with no quick cycle. Never even occurred to me to check. It has everything but… Oh well.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was warned by my older sister against buying a GE for reasons you mention. I bought my GE because it was the only one that could fill my needs that I could get in a 6 month time frame. I am on propane which makes my choices a little more complicated since some ranges do better with the conversion than others. I think I forgot about sisters warning when I bit the bullet and bought a GE. I am going to see her over TG. It is likely that I will complain about my range. I wonder if she will remember that she had warned me.

My mother purchased her Maytag dryer when I was born (to dry diapers, etc) I just turned 58.
She doesn’t use her dryer everyday, and hangs most clothes, but still uses it from time to time… no problems or issues.

4 Likes

We’ve had 3 washers in 23 years #1 was the fancy front loading Maytag Neptune that went kaput in less than two years and Maytag wouldn’t help us out and we didn’t get in on the lawsuit about the mold issue. The drum has been a planter in the veg garden since then. #2 was a Crapsman that died after 5 years, it was gonna cost more to fix it than buy a new one. #3 is also a Crapsman going on 10 years now. The repair guy said steer away from Samsung, LG and Whirlpool.

2 Likes

The timer on my old Whirlpool washer (top loader) was acting up last month. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts, put it back together and it just started working again. I can’t get he “Delicate Cycle” to work, but the regular cycle works just fine. There are only a few items that Sunshine needs washed on “Delicate”, so we are hand washing those items with Woolite.

I might get a new timer ($165-$200) with my income tax refund, but for now… my old Whirlpool lives on.

1 Like

Crumbers work well with cockroaches. But you have to keep them in your pocket until you get to the back of the house.

1 Like

You’re kidding here, right?

Of course she will remember.

“I TOLD you so!”, hahaha.

1 Like

Is there a 4th washer in there somewhere? I think I’m only getting 17 out of your 23 years.

We’re on #3 washer of 28 years. The first was a Kenmore set and we got about 7 from the washer and almost 20 from the dryer. The washer motor died and would have cost more to fix than it was worth, and we got a Bosch front-load that lasted maybe 9 years. The 3rd is a Maytag front-load that’s still going just fine, except it’s starting to retain water at the bottom of the sealing ring so we have to mop it out with a towel after use to avoid mold growth. I believe Maytag is now a Whirlpool company.

The old Kenmore dryer broke down maybe 5 times but each time it was something small like $20 relays or similar that I could replace myself, once the pros who like to contribute on the DIY websites helped me diagnose the problem. We replaced it with an LG dryer that still works okay, but the selector dial is getting really finicky. Not too big a deal as we normally use a “custom” program that we set long ago (which doesn’t require use of the dial, just the one “custom” button). But sometimes my wife has something she’d like to dry on low heat, and it takes a lot of fiddling to get the brain to recognize that she’s turning the selector dial.

P.S. What is Crapsman?

:upside_down_face: Ha!

1 Like

Speaking of past washing machines, how could I have forgotten our first front load when the top load went out. My husband was in Lowes or Home Depot and found a model on the floor a woman had refused delivery because of two small scratches on the side. We have no problem with small scratches. Regular price $1200 marked down to $500. Admittedly, I didn’t do my homework. Just told him to go ahead and buy it. First load of laundry went in. Good grief. I don’t care if they only use 15 gallons of water as opposed to 40. An hour and 45 minutes to wash some clothes? I eventually got used to it, kind of. Almost glad when it did go kaput. I would never buy a front load washer again. Just not my cup of tea.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was in the same boat when I got my first front load washer. What in the world causes it to take so LLLLOOONNNNGGGG to wash a load of clothes!??? I would not have minded going from 35 minutes to 45 minutes or so, but an hour and a half seemed to be a bit extreme.
And the clothes were not as clean. I ended up using more laundry soap and two bounce sheets.

2 Likes

Craftsman or Sears maybe?

2 Likes

I still have my Bosch front loader @ 12 years. I’ve used SuGru to repair the collar a couple of times; the dryer is still ok too. Bosch doesn’t even make vented dryers anymore; don’t know what I’ll get when these die.

1 Like