[Geiranger, Norway] Naustkroa

If you’re buying lunch in Geiranger, you’re probably either doing so as a change from eating in your camper van or, more likely, as a change from the food on your cruise ship. We were the latter, travelling on one of the three ships that were moored in the fjord off the village. That volume of visitors must overwhelm the resident population and, inherently, it means everywhere is touristy.

We picked this place for no other reason than it had a few tables on a patio at the water’s edge, so great views. There’s a short lunch menu that provided pizza for one of us. For the other, thick, meaty (smoked pork ?) sausages with boiled potatoes, red cabbage and mashed swede. It was a really nice nourishing plate of food that would have shouted “Scandi” at you, before Scandi food became all trendy foraging and preserving stuff.

I look forward to hearing more about your cruise - a Norwegian fjords cruise is one of my bucket list wishes, for sure. Where else will you be stopping?

bio - I’ve now posted all my restaurant reviews. Our best food experiences were actually on the ship and I will be posting a food related review in the next couple of days.

For info, the cruise was Southampton to Southampton, with Oceania (who claim the “finest food at sea”). We stayed the night before near Winchester (about a 40 minute drive from the port). Other ports were Edinburgh, Kirkwall (Orkney), Bergen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund and Stavanger. The fjords are gob-smackingly spectacular.

1 Like