[Gatley, Greater Manchester] Bon Bon Cafe

This Kurdish owned café has only been open a few weeks. So recent there seems to be no website, Facebook or Tripadvisor page, as yet. They’ve put together a daytime menu that features British style cakes, alongside Turkish baklava, sandwiches, both British and Middle Eastern. And a couple of breakfasts – British and Kurdish. the guy told us they’ve tried to blend Kurdish, Turkish and Arab flavours.

For me, The “Full Kurdish” breakfast (yes, that’s what they call it). Toast, fried egg, slice of helim cheese, kubbeh (spiced meat in a crisp coating – like the better known Lebanese kibbeh), a vegetable patty, a dip of tahini and date syrup (always delish), a small bowl of broad beans in tahini and some dried figs and walnuts. It comes with Kurdish tea – I’m not usually a tea drinker so may not be the best person to judge but I thought it OK.

Over the other side of the table, cheesecake – nicely made but very sweet as often the case with Middle Eastern things. Alongside, an espresso cup of pistachio coffee – rich, creamy and with just a hint of mixed spice.

It’s a good addition to the village and I wish them well.

7 Likes