Gargiulo’s* (Formerly Portifinos) Tinton Falls NJ

The bk menu looks pretty good. Prices seems fair overall but then I see 65.00 lobster tails with no description at all.

Also, no antipast? (Cold)

Just catching up:

Panarea was great, good call notjr. (yes, Page Ave)

Basilles is well worth the try for pizza in Middletown, great crust, and good ingredients. Their square is the star of the show for me, but it is not as big and thick as a typical Sicilian slice. A bit of a hike for the LS crowd but when I saw Palumbos mentioned I thought you meant the Holmdel store of the same name. Now I see that was wrong.

I wish Gargiulos well. Coney Island became a very large catering hall and I’ve been to some good events there but have not eaten in the restaurant in many years.

1 Like

There were a couple well dressed men outside while passing on my way home so I pulled over to inquire about a grand opening date:

“We don’t know yet” is the official response!

1 Like

Looking very much forward to this! Don’t get me started on how much Angelica’s is over rated, over priced and over hyped…

Welcome aboard nj guy. This is a great place to talk about anything food related. May I ask how you found out about the site? I think you will like it here.

(Moderators Note: The conversation about favorite Monmouth County Pizza places has been broken off into a new thread please continue the conversation here:

Hello!!! My daughter actually sent me a screen shot of the one of the above posts… which was sent to her and so on and so on… This is my first rodeo on a site like this… I always said I wanted to do the Yelp thing… but this looks better already! and very local.

We are from the Lincroft area and get out a bit (not as much as we would like), but now have a good avenue to provide our thoughts on places we visit! I try to stay away from chains and support local /privately held and Mom & Pop type of places…

Quick Summary of recent activity - just for reference - not to be continued here…:

1. Angelicas - Went for first time on Sunday - Will be the last time - maybe an off nite, but the list of very basic things that were questionable was just too long to give my hard earned $$ to ever again…

2. Zoni’s Pizza on 35 in Middletown - Fantastic!

3. Attilios’s in Lincroft - My opinion - The best Plain pizza in the world (Not too thick, not too thin, chewy crust, sweet sauce with lotsa cheese)

4. Subs - Italian - Joyces in Lincroft - The Best! - Go for the #4… they don’t use Boards head… but they are very thick, soft bread, ample amounts of oil and vinegar… and not too pricey! 2nd Best is Shoprite in Middletown - yep - Shop Rite!!..

That’s it for now… Thanks for having me!

2 Likes

Well welcome to Hungry Onion or Ho’ as we like to call it as well as referring to ourselves as Ho’s. (Don’t get any funny idea’s!!!)

Nice to have another local personality on the site, as you can tell we have a pretty robust Monmouth County representation, however there are plenty of members from all over the state as well. (I don’t know where @paryzer you live, but I’ve got a feeling you are going to have to move south soon)

Here is the formal “Welcome to Hungry Onion” thread should you want to introduce yourself to the broader audience, as you have a look around you will see the site contains a lot more than just local information.

Sorry you weren’t very impressed with Angelica’s, it’s pretty popular on here but only on the off season, I ain’t got no time for the wait that place generates during the summer. (I’ll bet you didn’t get the veal chop - that dish in particular is to die for)

Funny you bring up Attillio’s, you will see in the Pizza Pizza Pizza thread I just spun off from this one I just mentioned that is my personal favorite pizza in the area. (I too am very local to that area)

Again welcome to HO !!!

Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

4 Likes

I go to Anjelicas a lot and I’ll be the first one to tell you some of their items are overpriced. They get away with it being in that area. Never had a bad meal there though. I find it always consistent and some specials are very good. Could maybe chalk it up to a bad night but I’ve been places for the first time where it turned me off I’ve never went back so I know where you’re coming from @NJ-GUY.

FYI - Lately they have had this baked capellini appetizer as a special made with egg yolk, cheese and guanciale (maybe pancetta) which I’ve ordered the past few times (only for 2 people). Comes out in a round pizza type pan. A couple weeks back I order it for a few of us and ask the waiter (who knows me) to bring a portion for us to share. Now this was slightly bigger than the other times I have ordered it for only 2 people but was enough for everyone to get a taste. Everyone loved it so no issue there. Bill comes at the end of the night… $48!!! Remember this is just pasta, eggs, cheese and cured meat. So be warned.

1 Like

To be fair to Angelica’s I think we live in a higher end price point area. As I noted in my recent review of Semolina (which I will be returning to tonight) I paid $ 33. for a pork chop! A friggin pork chop! Was it good? (actually it was excellent) Yes, but still it’s a pork chop.

Nettie’s House of Spaghetti, $ 20. for ONE double cut lamb chop. Again, it was excellent but ONE chop.

This is what makes The Greek Spot in Ocean a favorite of mine, the lamb shank is $ 12.95 (They might have raised it to $ 13.95) comes over a bed of orzo and a delicious side salad too!! In any of the restaurants we are mentioning that meal would be $ 40. + so you just can’t beat that deal if you ask me.

1 Like

#PizzaRobby, you had me at egg yolk, cheese and guanciale. Is this like a pasta frittata? One of my favorite things to do with leftover cacio e pepe is to have it in eggs the morning after (and adding more pepper and cheese of course).

I do like Angelica’s, but never go because you need to book a good month out, and I’m just not that good a planner.

3 Likes

Not a frittata but more like a baked pasta dish with a thick sauce. It is pretty damn good…salty…cheesy…all the good stuff. If you’re there and they have it I would suggest getting it.

1 Like

Gargiulo’s is aiming for a mid to late June opening but there are no guarantees.

3 Likes

I drove by angelicas tonight at precisely 6:08

It was actually drizzling at that time and there were 2 tables eating in the rain outside. That is wild that this place was railed at 6 o’clock and folks were willing to sit in the rain (granted there was an umbrella to cover them, but still…)

It is not even summer yet.

I could use a Berkshire chop right about now.

1 Like

Couldn’t we all! :star_struck:

1 Like

Ferrucci’s in Little Silver sells them if you feel liking cooking some up for Mothers Day…

1 Like

Just had one at Semolina and I think I can say it’s the best I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

I will have to check that out…thanks

Do they cut them to order or do you have to buy them presliced?

I bought them presliced. They were probably an inch thick. Can’t hurt to ask though!

1 Like

Hey new guys! Where did you all go?

2 Likes