Galore Fried Chicken and Pizza Somerset

So, I read another of those “Best in your State” click through articles and it touted Galore Fried Chicken and Pizza Somerset as the best in NJ.

So, of course, they are now on my takeout list. Has anyone been?

2 Likes

Is that a normal pairing in NJ?
I love restaurants combining 2 cuisines that have no relation.

2 Likes

Actually there are quite a few pizza/chicken joints in NJ. There are also a bunch of Indian pizza places.

2 Likes

Now that I would love to see.

Frequently traveling through the Perth Amboy/Woodbridge/Edison area, I was initially shocked to see how many fried chicken and pizza places there are. Something which would be out of place in my area is quite seamless in those areas. Between the Kennedy Fried Chickens (which sell pizza) and New York Pizza (which sells fried chicken) it seems like the American dream. Still have to visit one. Justin always tells me the glory of “The Chicken Shack” which is a blanket term for all of such places when he was growing up.

But tell me more of this Indian pizza!

4 Likes

Two I’ve been to are both on Oak Tree Rd (where else?)

Papa Ponchos and Singa’s

Both places had a “tandoori” pie and one of them also had maybe the best buffalo chicken pie I’ve ever had. I think there are some others in that same area too.

3 Likes

The chicken at Galore is pretty good. The rice is good, but their other sides (mac salad, etc.) are pretty standard and probably purchased pre-made.

I fancy myself a fried chicken connoisseur, :slightly_smiling_face: and the best chicken I’ve found in the Central NJ area is the Crown in Piscataway: https://www.yelp.com/biz/crown-fish-and-chicken-piscataway-township Their other locations are not as good. Their sides are mediocre and overpriced for small containers that aren’t full, but their chicken is deeeeeelicious; I can’t recommend ordering anything there other than the chicken. Also, the guy who works at the counter taking payment and handing you your bag of food wears his mask under his nose or on his chin, so not the best place to go during a pandemic. But the fried chicken is excellent! :sob:

5 Likes

Rice? Like dirty rice?
Don’t you guys have regular fried chicken places?
Wacky. :cowboy_hat_face:
I love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Not being snarky… .What do you mean by that? As a Jersey Girl, if I asked you “Don’t you guys have regular pizza places,” that would mean what most people think of as a New York slice (vs. Neopolitan, which has become very popular on the east coast in the last decade).

So what’s a ‘regular’ fried chicken place?

3 Likes

As a KC guy, what I grew up with was family type dinner places like Strouds
http://stroudsrestaurant.com/

or FF places like Go Chicken Go

https://gochickengo.com/pages/menu

And all the myriad chains of varying deliciousness.
Now that I’m on the West Coast though, those options, to say nothing of yours, are nonexistent. KFC is the main squeeze.
Out here people rhapsodize over chicken from chain supermarket delis!
A sad state of affairs. As I said above, I love your dual identity joints and wish we had more inventiveness out West
:cowboy_hat_face:
BTW I, love rice but don’t see it on many menus.

2 Likes

And… now I want fried chicken. SIGH (And if @MsBean opens that 2nd link, I know what SHE’LL say she wants.)

Thanks for the explanation! We don’t have places like that in NJ (that I’m aware of). But if you walk in to any ‘typical’ NJ pizza place, you’ll find pizzas + hot sandwiches like chicken or eggplant parm + a slew of pasta dishes.

2 Likes

Gizzards and liver!!!

I actually have two containers of livers defrosting in my fridge to make chopped liver for the weekend. The Jewish take on those platters. If I had gizzards they’d go in the soup.

2 Likes

Excellent! Much easier to place in the garbage disposal if they are thawed vs frozen. :face_vomiting:

When I was about 7-8 years old a cook at my fathers restaurant made me a delicious sundae, it was with a new “coffee” flavored ice cream we got in. It had candied nuts, hot fudge, whipped cream, sprinkles and a big fat cherry on top! I was so excited I took a huge spoonful and shoveled it right into my mouth!! Except it wasn’t a new coffee flavored ice cream, it was chicken livers he placed in the sundae glass with an ice cream scooper. I have never been able to look at ground livers again with out an involuntary gag reflux from happening. :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

6 Likes

OMG what a FANTASTIC story!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wish I had put $$ down on @MsBean :grin:

2 Likes

That is a crazy story! It reminds of the story Mr Bean tells about his uncle who gave him a glass of what he told him was ginger ale but turned out to be scotch. The only difference is he’s now a scotch drinker.

3 Likes

It is a yellow rice, similar to what you would get at a Portugese BBQ place.

2 Likes

Portuguese bbq? Tell me more.
A totally foreign concept to me.

2 Likes

This is where we go, Pork Chops BBQ: https://pcbbq.com/ The combo meals come in half catering trays so are enough for 2 people with leftovers. Delicious!

2 Likes