Fury in Spain at US plans to produce ‘Iberian’ ham in Texas and Georgia

San Daniele is a city in the province of Udine. What you said sounds like most of the prosciutto San Daniele doesn’t come from Udine but other parts in Italy.

Well the pork comes from other parts of Italy, but it is processed in San Daniele.

I can imagine–but I do not know this–that certain preservative steps are left out for the local consumption.

I just checked the map, Udine is to the name of a city and a province as well. So both Udine and San Daniele is situated in the province of Udine.

Maybe length of curing? I’ll try to see if I can find something on that. Unless in Udine, they import a different pig.

1 Like

… and random oak trees. In some situations in California you are supposed to get a “permit” to remove them. Not that I would .

:innocent:

1 Like

Yes, but the curing is done in the San Daniele.

1 Like

A diet of acorns alone is only a fraction. It takes extraordiinarily more to achieve the unique taste of Jamón Ibérico. As mentioned previously, you need the microclimate and biodiversity of la dehesa, massive terrain and 3 types of oak grown on the property. Rigorous quality and origin control. And of course it takes time to raise the animals and to cure.

The terrain required to raise Iberico pigs is so vast you most likely don’t see them at all. But if you are lucky to come across them near the fence on your hikes just throw acorns over the fence and they’ll come closer.

More stuff from my trip to the Sierra here.

I like presunto and Black Forest ham OK but really, most hams taste to me as if the makers own multiple salt mines. And btw, the pig legs used to make “Parma” ham come from around here. We are EU’s biggest meat producer and have one of the biggest slaughter houses. We are a very small and industrious country in which animal welfare and quality (of anything) are of no importance. Destroy the land to make money is how we operate. Capitalism, yay.

I ate Mangalica in Hungary. It’s all right. Mangalica are primarily raised for the fat. If you don’t like Mangalica it’s quite OK. There’s not enough of it to go around Hungary so Hungarians will be glad if you scoff at Mangalica fat, that only means more for them.

Mangalica meat (very little meat): one, two, three.

The prized fat. I got some. The smoked one is nice.

Mangalica “jamon”. I bought it from a market stall.

3 Likes

Tereul, Aragonese Ham is “slightly sweet” and quite aromatic and Salamanca, depending on the level, is something you can buy in a SuperMarket for 1 € for 7 slices or ALOT more for higher quality.

I rarely eat it but the best to me is from a region called Jabugo, Huelva and the Jabugo Pata Negra, is what my parents, husband and sons and their wives enjoy most.

Extremaduran, Badajoz, De Huesa would be the 2nd best in my opinion.

This article in my opinion is quite old and it is the same story as the usa producing Feta (cow milk Feta).

In the Aegean Islands, there are no cows and REAL Feta is produced from Sheep milk or Goat Milk.

On the mainland of Greece and particularly in northern Greece are Cows !

Greece had legal issues with The usa regarding the PATENT = COPYRIGHT NAME OF FETA !!!

This is a very similar story.

However, note that many Spaniards live in the usa ! And produce wines, Cavas and Hams as well as Evoo (extra virgin olive oils ).

So, this is not a surprise to us and I think the article is “a bit of false news” …

1 Like

Thanks for all your information on this subject @Barca, very enlightening.

In our experience in Greece, the feta did indeed vary place to place. The best feta I tasted was on Rhodes, absolutely sublime.

However, and this was 30 years ago, all the yogurt we ate was most definitely sheep’s milk, on the islands, Peloponessia, Athens area, and north to Meteora. It may well be quite different now.

I’ve always wanted to enjoy the yogurt I loved in Greece, as nothing I’ve found in US comes near. But, happily I found a dairy about 80 miles away that sells sheep’s milk. So, once I make the trek, I’ll be making my own, hopefully authentic Greek style yogurt.

Haven’t had much experience with Spanish ham, but have been thinking about buying some from Costco, as I think they sell a couple of different kinds.

2 Likes

I noticed recently that the larger importers of non-Greek “feta” in the USA are calling it “white cheese”, as in “Bulgarian white cheese”. Domestic producers are still calling it feta, though.

2 Likes

Interesting @ernie_in_berkeley, have never seen or noticed that.

Krinos is one of the importers. If you go to https://www.krinos.com/feta and click on any of the flags other than Greek and USA, you’ll see the packages of white cheese.

ETA: I see that the cheese from France is also labelled feta.

Yep, and the French feta is very good @ernie_in_berkeley.

@naf

Another very interesting point, these articles are all written in English.

I looked on google.es and I do not see any articles on the topic in Spanish !

So, this is questionable !

2 Guys relocate to usa and start a farm ! So did José Andrés 20 years ago !

Not a big deal …

It is, but it’s surprising that the French version is called feta, since France is a stickler about AOC rules. They complain about American “brie” and “camembert”, for example.

1 Like

Very true @ernie_in_berkeley, and they’re sticklers about their language also.

The pigs are likely to have accents as well.

Where are you located? Some websites use location information from your IP address and choose languages accordingly.

1 Like

And the French complaining about the use of brie or camembert is eyebrow-raising,since neither of those terms is in and of itself an AOC designation, even in France, and both require a place name before it can be an AOC.

There are just two AOC bries (Brie de Meaux and Brie de Melun) , although there are 7 distinct bries. (I was lucky enough to live in the Brie region between Meaux and Melun before my dairy intolerance showed up so I sampled it all!) Oh yes… Coulommiers is considered a brie, but it carries it’s own AOC, so the word brie is not used.)

I’m a big proponent of the sanctity of AOC designations…its much the same as copyrights and trademarks.

I dont have an issue with the import of black foot pigs…just dont call it iberico or belote, because it’s not.

(And the feta naming drives me bonkers…the aforementioned dairy issue means I can’t eat cow feta,but sheep feta is no issue…I have to ask everywhere I go where their feta comes from.)

2 Likes

Probably the same people in the article. They call it “Ibericus”. (I call it Ridiculous)

1 Like

Everybody is looking for loopholes. After 2007, the EU law rules that feta made outside Greece cannot be called feta. I guess this is only effective in the Euro zone. The company Salakis, famous for making feta here, stop to use the name on the packages and named their product as goat cheese.

1 Like

Ibericus sounds like a Harry Potter spell where they can turn everybody into a pig.

I am a big fan of Spanish ham, but I would buy similar tasting ham regardless of what you call it so I have no problems if they want to pick a different name just to avoid ruffling feathers. It’s like the sparkling white wine vs champagne thing.

While I generally like Costco for some high-end things, I do remember a thread here that compared the Costco Iberian ham to the real deal Iberian hams available in Spain or imported via an artisanal purveyor. I seem to remember that it was a fairly middling review. If you’re curious to try it, give it a try at a place like La Tienda, which is a Spanish foods specialty store. They’re expensive, but they have smaller portions (ie., you don’t have to buy the $1500 ham leg) available too.

2 Likes