Funky Elephant (San Francisco, Mission District)

I’ve been bad about posting my reviews for Mission Local here, but this place really stood out. Funky Elephant’s first restaurant is in Berkeley, but they recently opened a larger site here in the City - in the Mission. I’d compare it to what Hawker Fare used to be, and similar to Farmhouse Thai.

Hope you enjoy, and go!

Funky Elephant Brings Modern Thai to the Mission

Ex-Hawker Fare alumnus Chef Supasit Puttikaew and his wife Nanchaphon Laptanachai opened Funky Elephant in Berkeley as a tiny storefront that quickly became extremely popular, earning itself a Michelin Guide entry in 2022. They wanted to expand and, lucky us, they did it right here in the Mission. Taking over the old Barzotto space, the eye-catching elephant mural at the entrance sets the tone for the playfulness of the menu – a playfulness that belies the depths of flavor reached by Chef Puttikaew with his proprietary spice blends and homemade chili jams.

On the first visit, the BF and I started out with crispy fried Hodo tofu.

Dusted with “Funky” seasoning (green chai, black and white pepper, garlic and onion powder, although the BF swore he could taste cumin too), the tofu is fried and served with fresh dill, basil, cilantro, and Thai red chilies, and a sweet chili dipping sauce. While very flavorful, this was the only dish that didn’t completely wow us, as the tofu was a bit tight, not quite as light and fluffy as I’d hoped.

Next, the yum kai dao (crispy egg salad):

PheNOMenal, with a smokey grilled prawn, fresh herbs, and TWO eggs so I could share with the BF without resenting him, swimming in a marvelously sweet/sour/umami-rich nam pla. The eggs are fried in very hot oil so that the edges form crackling lace, while maintaining the luscious, gooey yolk that becomes part of the dressing. I remember a similar version of this dish at Hawker Fare and obsessed about it for weeks afterwards, trying to replicate it at home. Now I know where to find it again.

BF ordered the Gang Rawang Beef…

Char-grilled rib eye rests in a pool of green curry sauce, light and lively with Thai basil, Thai chilis, turmeric and coconut milk. Alongside, hardy wild rocket (aka arugula) offered crunch and freshness. And the steak - so tender! Another winner. On the side, he ordered a bowl of this beauty:

The radiant hue comes from a natural source – the petals of the Butterfly-Pea flower. The dish is native to Malaysia, although found in Thai and Indian cuisines as well. While the rice doesn’t taste much different than its white counterparts, it’s certainly a stunner.

My main was a pork noodle dish that was soupier than I’d imagined, with chunks of ground pork, noodles, alfalfa sprouts, peanuts, and chilies, in a steaming, spicy (but not nearly as fiery as the server had intimated), funky/sour broth. The textures! Simply gorgeous.

My sister accompanied me on my second visit, and as a confirmed non-chili-head, the only dish that really got to her were the Party Wings:

Just look at them – they’re practically prehistoric! Massive in size, they’re doused in housemade red curry and fish sauce, and fried until crispy, bearing traces of crunchy pork skin and crumbled fermented pork. Seriously good, super-funky heat in every bite.

Next up were the Makrut leaf Brussels sprouts…

Bathed in King sauce – a chili, ginger, curry paste – and I was sure I could taste tamarind – the sprouts are fried until caramelized and a little charred, aromatic, and brimming over with tang and heat. Deliciously crisp/tender.

We shared the Motherland Curry with wild rock cod:

A lovely, light curry with vermicelli and cabbage, I loved all the fresh herbs, especially the dill, which is unexpected to me in Thai cooking, but apparently not uncommon.

And the star of the night…

Billed as O’s Breakfast Grilled Pork, a generous cut of tender, char-grilled pork steak came topped with I believe toasted rice powder and another of those obscenely crispy fried eggs, sided by a spicy Nam Jim Jaew (chili dipping sauce) slaw. An umami bomb, this superbly satisfying dish would make any breakfast a joy.

And although we were pretty full, we found it in us to go just a little further …

Hella Drunken mussels for “dessert.” Plump, wok-tossed PEI mussels, in another slightly spicy, housemade chili jam, with Thai basil, garlic, and Asian rice wine, ushered us out the door.

There are many more dishes I’ve just got to try: Kao Mun Gai – poached chicken with garlicky ginger rice, Old School pad thai, Crispy Rice Salad – another dish I first tried at Hawker Fare – plus other soups and vegan/veggie dishes. For beverages, Funky Elephant serves Thai iced tea, sodas, beer, and natural wines.

Every bite of every dish was a perfect blend of spice, funk, savory, sour, and sweet. Since Hawker Fare closed (and, let’s face it, it had sadly gone downhill in recent years) it’s wonderful to have Chef Puttikaew bring such dynamic, non-traditional Thai cooking back to the Mission.

18 Likes

While it all sounds delicious, I am particularly struck by the gorgeous dishes it’s all served in, especially that first bowl with tofu.

4 Likes

yes, i loved all the plate ware they used, all so different from each other.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! One question- Why was the food all purple-ish? Purple lighting?

I missed the old Hawker Fare. I will try Funky Elephant some time!

1 Like

i think it is a reflection of the color of most of the bowls…
it was very good, i hope you like it!

How does the SF location compare to the Berkeley location?

1 Like

i’ve never been to the Berkeley location, i just read that it’s a smaller space. and it looks like the SF menu is a little more extensive, by a few dishes…

The Berkeley location is definitely small. Room inside for 10-12 peeps, maybe? There’s more seating outside, so when the weather is nice, al fresco is a good option. The disco lights in the bathroom are fun, too.

1 Like

Mussels for dessert…my kind of people

2 Likes