Fung Bros - Can Chinatown Be Saved?

3 Likes

Idea: Good.
Not consistently wearing masks or social distancing: Bad.

1 Like

excerpt:
…
Hi, Wilson. Happy birthday. Nom Wah just turned 100. When did you take it over?

Wilson Tang In 2010, from my uncle Wally, who came from China in the ’50s and worked for the restaurant’s previous owners, the Choy family. My parents had an apartment in Confucius Plaza across the street, so I was born here. Then we moved to Elmhurst, Queens, because, to my parents, Queens represented upward mobility, like moving to the suburbs. You have to remember, during the ’80s and ’90s, Chinatown was a very different place. There was a lot more corruption. My parents’ dream was a house with a white picket fence and garage. They didn’t want me to work in a restaurant. But in college I got interested in my heritage, and I thought there was maybe an opportunity for a new generation in Chinatown.
…

A little off topic, in my travels I am exposed to a lot of plastic forks, spoons, and knives. Not happy about that but carrying my own utensils through TSA is not going to work. Chopsticks on the other hand sail (ha!) right through. Poly, stainless steel, and ivory. I have a selection. grin

3 Likes

I ate with chopsticks for nearly two decades and prefer it but not all foods accommodate it.

1 Like

I just don’t eat those in transit. grin

2 Likes

new trends in Vietnamese food in New York -

1 Like

Andrew Fung in Palisades Park, New Jersey at Chinese- Korean and Korean spots:

1 Like

not Chinese but Vietnamese -

1 Like

Since the first segment in the video is about MEET FRESH and is sponsored, I skipped the video past it to about the 4:27 mark, though the introduction from :20 to :48: is of some interest.

1 Like

The segment on Korean Cajun fusion starts at the 11:42 mark

1 Like