Fudge?

Hi,

Newbie here!

I see different fudge recipes made with chocolate and also some made by replacing chocolate by coco powder? Which is the real way ?

Consider these two different fudge recipes:

Recipe #1
Condensed milk
Chocolate chips
Butter

Recipe #2
Condensed milk
Coco powder
Sugar
Butter

Both of them generate a fudge. But which one is really the authentic way of making fudge ?

Thanks

1 Like

Authentic? There are probably as many fudge recipes as there are confectioners! They’re all delish as long as you don’t scorch the pan.

1 Like

Hi mts, Hey I thank you very much for replying to my question.

If I may ask you, I have a 2nd question.

First, I am using the 2nd recipe and I am looking for a hard snap fudge. I am looking to make a fudge where when you press your finger on it with significant force, your finger doesn’t sink in the fudge.

So I have done the recipe but the inside doesn’t look quite smooth as a fudge should look like. It looks more of a dry cookie composition but not crumbly! Actually quite good and tasty.

Here is the recipe:

Powdered Sugar 150g
Corn syrup 1 tbsp
Condensed milk: 130g
Water: 15g
Cocoa powder 30g

While stirring the mixture in the pot I bring all the ingredients (except the Cocoa powder) to 118C, and then I add the Cocoa powder and mix some more.

I was hoping for a more smoother composition. I’m a little confused as to whether I should be stirring the sugars as they heat up to 118C while they boil?? (If I don’t stir them, the bottom of pot burnsMan shrugging: light skin tone :man_shrugging_tone1:).

Also once the mixture reaches 118C and add in the Cocoa powder, do I remove the pot from the heat or continue heating it as I mix the Cocoa with the rest of the sugars ?

Anyways a little confused with all this…. I would really appreciate any tip that you can give me !

Thanks so much
Rob

Hi, Rob, and welcome to Hungry Onion.

Your notes are impressive and your quest noble. I can’t help with the recipe (not a fudge maker), but hoping someone comes along to assist.

1 Like

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum and I hope you get a lot more replies with info.

I haven’t made fudge in a few years, but used to do so quite a bit. One thing I note about your comments is that I tried not to go above 112C/234F on my sugar boil. The couple times I did, I got some sugar crystal grainier fudge. I’ve never taken the sugar/water into the hard ball stage at 118+ C / 244 F, or at least not on purpose.

I always used unsweet choc, so I can’t speak to use of cocoa. That might make a difference.

Generally, I’ve found Alton Brown’s general recipe helpful, posted below. In years past I know I’ve wandered a bit from his instructions but unfortunately only recall how when I’m actually doing it, if you understand what I mean. But his general recipe is quite pretty good.

This is a really decent fudge just as written and avoids the “old church lady” grainy fudge that a lot of us have been inflicted with. Maybe not you, but I’ve had tons of “my specialty” fudge from old ladies that was as grainy and unpalatable as could be…

4 Likes

Hmmm. I grew up on Hershey’s cocoa fudge: creamy, melt in your mouth, clean chocolate. So this is what I consider “authentic”.

Never grainy if procedure followed.

5 Likes

I’ve made many fudges akin to pilgrim’s recipe with success. I’ve made fudge with marshmallow creme, too without a problem.
Best of luck!

1 Like

I’m not a fudge-maker either, but if you can find a copy of Candymaking by Ruth Kendrick, she has good recipes for classic candies like fudge and fondant.

Chocolates and Confections by Peter Greweling might have a page on troubleshooting crystalline confections, I’ll try to remember to check tomorrow.

Thanks for this @pilgrim. For years I’ve been trying to find a fudge recipe like the simple one I first made as a kid, and can only find condensed milk or corn syrup versions, and this one reminds of the one I made.

(I didn’t have a thermometer then, but the soft ball test mostly worked!)

1 Like

Is this allowed with citation?

From Chocolates & Confections by Peter Greweling, 2007.

3 Likes

I think it’s a generational thing. Fudge, penuche, divinity are old-fashioned homemade candies that are extremely simple but require attention to technique.

Sometime, maybe third quarter of last century, they were “simplified” for impatient cooks by additions (corn syrup, marshmallow, etc) that made them more foolproof but also did not create the same product. At the same time, “fudge machines” were introduced that many small enterprises jumped on to create sales. Again, not bad but not the same a the old time stuff. (We have, in fact, in the fridge some that husband picked up at a farmstand. Okay but not the same melting texture.)

Several generations have grown up on the modern version,

1 Like

Thank you all for your help! Very appreciated :+1:

The OP mentioned “hard snap” fudge. I have to admit, I’ve never had fudge that texture. It’s always soft enough to dent with your thumb.

2 Likes

Yea hard snap fudge exists. I’m actually doing it and it’s delicious. You ca. Look at the various responses in this thread on how to do it. I’m now just testing different flavors to add I to it !

Yeah, but making the marshmallow is sometimes pretty fussy, too.

:wink:

Actually, cutting the stuff is the only problem part. Sticky sticky.

1 Like

I remember my grandmother’s fudge as “hard snap”. Smooth on the tongue, a bit crumbly but not grainy. I’m not an impatient cook. More like a timid candy maker. This is the fudge recipe I use to make years ago at Xmas time. No candy thermometer necessary and practically foolproof if you use a non stick pan. From The Mystic(CT) Seaport Cookbook. Note the introduction to the recipe.

2 Likes

Wow that looks pretty complete I do the same but without the marshmallows and I use coco powder instead of chocolate. Does really come out better with the marshmallows?

It’s a very good soft fudge. And I should have mentioned that if I was making it nowadays I would leave out the peanut butter if gifting. Chopped walnuts are obvious.

1 Like