Fry Bread Is Beloved, but Also Divisive

3 Likes

Seems to be paywalled to me in the UK.

As regards fry bread, my partner & I are on the other side of the coin that finds it “beloved”. One of us had the misfortune to order it at a place owned by native Americans in Cherokee, NC. My review of lunch included@

“My partner had a fry-bread – a flatbread, presumably cooked in a frying pan. It comes topped with a bland and boring chilli and tasteless cheese. Just not nice at all. Perhaps revenge of the Cherokee for the wrongs done to them (and I include by my own compatriots, as well as Americans).”

1 Like

That article led me here.

2 Likes

See if this opens for you.

4 Likes

That worked, Rooster. Thanks.

1 Like

Very interesting. It sounds like a wonderfully adaptable bread. I understand how it can be seen as a highly unhealthful habit, but/and most every of our cultures includes a high-carb, high-fat heritage food, memorable dishes that bind us to the past and are links to give our kids, even though we now know to limit their consumption.
Falling down the rabbit hole, I noticed this cookbook on indigenous foods. that sounds well worth a read. Many thanks, Rooster.

2 Likes

As noted in the video above, “Indian Tacos,” frybread topped with various taco ingredients, were and still are a staple at food trucks, county fairs and fundraisers all over Oklahoma. I ate a lot of them when I lived there. Frybread is delicious when freshly made but as you can imagine loses its punch the longer it sits. Not a healthy food and not something you would eat every day, then again none of the Native people I know did either.

2 Likes

Looks good to me.

I’ve had it in South Dakota, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. I’ve also made it. I prefer it just with honey, but that’s also how I prefer to eat sopapillas.

2 Likes

The Italian side of my family made fried dough dipped in sugar for us kids while we waited impatiently for the steak pizzaiola braising. Fun food memory.

From a young age, NJ Pow wows I’ve been to for ritual dance performances is where I learned about fried bread, wild rice and buffalo meat…

Anyone catch the Hulu series, Reservation Dogs? One episode has a comedic take on fry bread.

2 Likes

I love that show. But I only remember the deer jerky (it was called something else) and the Flaming Hot Cheetos.

1 Like

Episode 4-What About Your Dad.

Thanks, will revisit.

1 Like

LOVED Reservation Dogs.

2 Likes