Frozen Milk Malts?

I love a vanilla malt, but making one from ice cream is expensive (only use Häagen-Dazs), and super high in fat/calories.

So I am looking for a method using milk. I have found a number of methods online that call for milk and ice cubes. Guessing that “might” work as I make pretty thick frozen smoothies from ice, pineapple, and juice.

But what about frozen milk cubes, milk, sugar, vanilla, and malt powder? Anyone here do this? Or will I need to experiment.

You’ll probably want to experiment anyway, because YAY! Edible experiments!

But I would very much like to know what sort of malt powder you use. I <3 a good chocolate malt, but their darned hard to find these days. I’m not sure even the Olde Tyme Soda Shoppe in town does them…

Malt powder for me. If you can find bulk tank milk, OMG. It’s already like melted ice cream. If you’re gonna treat yourself, enjoy every taste.

Nothing fancy… Nestlé/Carnation malted milk powder. Not a connoisseur, but it does a great job with milk & HD vanilla ice cream… but takes way too much ice cream which is why I am looking for an ice milk alternative.

You can thicken milk using Xantham Gum, or just use corn starch.

Or since you’re making ice cream, why not just add a bit sugar and reduce the milk on the stovetop?

Prob a good idea, but I already made cubes from pure milk, so once I get the measurements right I’ll prob do that for the next batch of cubes.

Initial test will be around 245g milk (half frozen/half cold), 50g sugar, 15g malt, 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Have you thought of using sweetened condensed milk?

Nope. For reasons I can’t explain, I’m a huge un-fan of condensed/evaporated milks.

This was ok, but too sweet, and not icy/thick enough. So I modified it to 132g milk ice cubes and 106g cold milk, 30g sugar, 15g malt, 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Delicious! This is now my go to Vanilla Malted Milk (IMHO… no need for pricey, fatty ice cream). About 330 calories w/2% milk, but I think I might come down a bit more on the sugar next time.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)