Fried rice! What are your favorite ingredients and techniques?

Haha! I thought there was a new spam cooking spray! My eyes are going too…no harm, no foul :smile:

I think my computer auto corrects my spelling sometimes.
As for the SPAM MISTO, I have had those but found it clogged up easily ( purchased 2X from Costco bec of packaging, - so after 4 bottles, discontinued by Costco, decided to find alternative.
Found this on amazon, purchased in 2016

That is filled with EVOO that I spritz on food, ie potatoes which I want to bake in oven instead of wasting a whole lot of EVOO in a small bowl, and having to wash the silicone brush, spring rolls which I sometimes prefer bake to bake rather than fry and last night’s dinner, baked. chicken in oven instead of fry but suggestion is to spritz the panic with olive oil.
The company is small, very attentive to their buyers. Once, the spayer got clogged up, I sent them an email, to which they responded immediately.
So, if it clogs up, they advised to discard oil if it is in container too long, and how to clean it. Cleaning is easier since the bottle is glass. Since the, I. have had no problem as I do not load it up to the brim so I will not have stagnant stale oil.

The canola oil spray is still a veery useful item for me to spray the grill of my BBQ, the smoker, the plancha as well as the interior tin of various copper pots and most important, the tin of the copper lid if I am using them per suggested .

1 Like

I did, see below. Very satisfied with it.
Just do not fill it both brim too much( suggest an inch or two - I feel it halfway now and has had no problem since) so oil does not get stale unless you can use that oil much quicker.

• REFILL AND REUSE - This unique model produces such a FINE MIST you use so little oil it will last for weeks. The perfect cooking oil accessory your air fryer, grilling and baking. Fill it with an inch or two of olive oil. The rest of the space lets you pump up AIR pressure. Use your favorite oils for popcorn, salad, veggies, fish, meats, omelettes. - Even INFUSE your own flavors. The clear container lets you see exactly what’s inside and the premium filter makes sure only pure oil is spritzed.
1 Like

I love this thread! But my brain hurts from all the variety its being exposed to.

3 Likes

I haven’t had any issues with my Misto, but I appreciate the recommendation for a replacement, if I ever need one. I use it all the time, on potatoes (as you do), and on salads. It’s also great for misting baked pasta before running it under the broiler.

2 Likes

see below

Yes there is!..you use it and there is an automatic device on your stove that sends it to the trash!

No, phreddy, it is not an automatic devise that sends the melted ice to the trash.
I have to scrape the plancha , remove whatever left over food and oil that is there , turn it to 500 degrees, pour ice on it , then scoop the melted ice into that side channel, empty and send to trash myself.

Should not complain as it is still easier to clean than most stand alone plancha that sits on top of stove. As a master plumber ( if my memory is correct) , you can understand that with septic, I prefer not to dump any oil into my system so , if there is too much oil, I have to either dump them in a container to bring to dump.

2 Likes

Beans and rice are a staple in my family. I like to elevate a simple side dish with a zest of flavor without adding a lot of time to my meal prep.

Cilantro Lime Black Bean Rice

Ingredients

1. 2 cups chicken broth
    1. 1 cup Jasmine rice
    1. 2 garlic cloves, minced
    1. 1/2 lime, juiced
    1. 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1. 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
    1. salt to taste

Instructions

• In a large pot, bring broth and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until rice is tender. Remove from heat and scoop into a bowl. Mix in garlic, lime juice, black beans, and cilantro. Season with salt to taste.
6 Likes

FYI the Chinese yellow rice is food coloring. Like this https://www.webstaurantstore.com/documents/nutrition/yellowfoodcoloring.pdf

1 Like
1 Like

I do pretty much what Rooster links to in the Thai Fried Rice from Splendid Table (link above), except that I usually use some Thai chili paste and use tamarind juice (started from a cake) rather than ketchup. The more fresh and appropriate Thai herbs, the better (alas, hard to find here in Indiana).

1 Like

We cook extra in the rice pot and refrigerate it for 2-3 days before making fried rice out of it. We start with neutral oil and add toasted sesame oil for flavor. We usually clean out the fridge when making it, so it varies time to time. But it’s always onions, green onions cabbage or sprouts, mushrooms, celery and minced carrots. Fresh peas if we have them. We scramble the eggs separately and season with garlic salt and toasted sesame oil. The meat varies to the leftovers on hand and if I have tofu, that goes in too. I also keep a couple cans of Tabasco spam for emergencies & it tastes really good too in a pinch.

3 Likes

Meant to say DH does it in an electric non stick wok, but I have better luck in a large skillet. And the peas are fresh frozen petite peas. Such a great way to use leftovers.

1 Like

from youtube:

Ok, let’s get started on this Indonesian street food recipe, but remember that this recipe is very customizable, and the only real way to make it is to taste test it and make it they way you like it.

For the pickle:
2 cucumbers
½ large carrot
20 - 40 small birds eye chilies
2 - 3 tbsp sugar
2 - 3 tbsp white vinegar
½ tsp salt

For the sambal
5 - 20 hot chilies (in Thailand I used Karen chilies)
3 cloves garlic
1 small shallot
½ tsp salt

For the crispy shallots:
Shallots
Salt
Oil for frying

Emping (melinjo crackers) if you can get them, or shrimp crackers

200 grams - 300 grams - Day old rice
2 eggs per plate
2 stalks stink beans, or a handful
½ tsp pepper
½ tbsp soy sauce (to taste)
1 tbsp kecap manis (sweet dark soy sauce)

METHOD:

Chop and mix all the ingredients for the pickle. Adjust vinegar, sugar, and salt to taste. Let it sit, and the juices will start to come.

Peel the shallots, and slice finely. Mix in a bowl with salt, and massage as much of the shallot juice out as possible. They will fry more crispy the drier they are. Deep fry in oil for a few minutes until golden brown and crispy.

If you have emping or shrimp chips, quickly deep fry them.

Add some oil to your wok, heat, and fry a couple of eggs - set aside to drain.

For the nasi goreng, start with the fresh sambal. Pound chilies, garlic, shallots, and salt until coarse and the oils come out.

Add about 2 - 3 tbsp oil to your wok and wait for it to heat. Begin by frying the sambal curry paste you just pounded - fry until fragrant. Then add your stink beans and mix and fry for about a minute. Crack in an egg on the side, let it sizzle for a few seconds before scrambling it, and mixing it into the sambal mixture. When the egg is scrambled, add in your rice. Mix continuously on medium heat, making sure you really break apart each grain of rice. Season with soy sauce and kecap manis, and some pepper. Stir fry until each grain of rice is individual and coated in the soy sauces.

Serve on a plate, fried egg on top, crackers on the side, cucumber and tomato for garnish, and pickle on the side. Enjoy!

2 Likes

This recipe has no shrimp paste/powder. I don’t see it in the ingredient list.

I like shrimp paste but some recipes do omit it or suggest alternatives such as this recipe from Serious Eats:

excerpt:

Terasi is an umami bomb that pervades both your kitchen and your senses. If you can’t find it easily, feel free to substitute another Southeast Asian shrimp paste, or omit it—you’ll be making what my mom calls nasi goreng cina , or Chinese fried rice, which is the version she made for us when I was growing up.

1 Like

A few days ago I had the Golden Supreme fried rice at Harborview in San Francisco and I’m obsessed.

And there was salt cod.

Swoon.

I need the recipe.

2 Likes

Leftover rice from the local restaurant, which I always order but never eat with my steamed veg/tofu entree. Repurposed with diced tri color peppers, mushrooms, scallions, cashews, carrot and canned/drained baby corn. Stir fry. Sometimes cabbage makes it to the party.

3 Likes

Every one of those I’ve gotten has ended up smelling like rancid oil (quelle surprise!) so I quit buying them.