Fresh Pond Market in Cambridge MA

I was sad to hear that Fresh Pond Market on Huron Ave. was closing. It was a nice little place and really convenient for picking up a few things after stopping at Formaggio just up the street. I loved the fact that the locals still had paper and pencil monthly accounts and the service was very old-school. This development posted by Marc Hurwitz on Boston Restaurant Talk could potentially be very interesting: I’ll be watching to see where this leads.

[September 11 update: Cambridge Day states that the owners of Formaggio have taken ownership of the space, and while it appears that the store will continue to operate as a market under their ownership, it is not known for sure whether the Fresh Pond Market name will remain. (Formaggio is a group of specialty food shops with locations in Huron Village, Kendall Square, and Boston’s South End.)]

6 Likes

Oh that is sad! That’s where we shopped when I was a kid and it was kind of old-fashioned even then. The butcher and the owner greeted all the customers by name (Mrs of course, no first names). We had a monthly account there. Last time I went in I recognized one of the owner’s sons and he definitely looked retirement age. As a young man he used to drive the delivery truck (you could call in a grocery order and he’d bring it, foreshadowing Peapod by many decades). One time he arrived just as age 5 me fell off the front porch and split my forehead open and he drove us to Mount Auburn Hospital so I could get stitches. Memories…

5 Likes

Their butcher was a hidden gem and my go to before MF Dulock opened. The counter didn’t look like much but they had a great selection. All it took was a call in the am and they would procure whatever you needed by the afternoon.

I have mixed emotions about Formaggio taking over the space. On one hand I am glad it will still be some sort of market and not a crappy chain. However unless Formaggio has a radical departure from their normal prices the market will be of little use to me. I spend enough at the cheese shop. We’ll see what they do with it.

4 Likes

Yes, my thoughts exactly! Shopping at Formaggio is an occasional indulgence, but the Fresh Pond Market was quite reasonable. If the selection is more upscale and exclusive, I won’t be there very often.

That said, I am relieved that it won’t be a bank or something similar.

3 Likes

What a lovely memory, Gretchen. It’s hard to imagine that the new place will be old-school, but let’s hope it keeps some kind of neighborhood vibe and some everyday prices.

4 Likes

given the neighborhood demographic, I sure wouldn’t count on that.

2 Likes