Frenchies eat more Hamburgers than Jambon-Beurre sandwiches

All this talk of jambon beurre has made me desperately crave same, big time. So today, after getting my 9,000th Covid booster (Im OLD) I popped into the little grocery market next door to the pharmacy and emerged with.counter sliced ham, a baguette, sweet French butter, and a container of chicken and wild rice soup. I will now repair to my post-vax sick bed (I always do, regardless of the vax lol) and will avail myself of a splendid recuperation meal this evening. I can think of no cultural insights to share , though😀.

3 Likes

Wow, where do you get a philly cheesesteak in the South of France? I mean, specifically the place.

well, that reinforces the concept that generalizations are iffy.
around here even in the “fine dining” (…definitions vary…) restos there always a burger&fixings of simple to complex ‘combos’ on the dinner menu.
at a ‘chain resto’ - more likely half the menu.

but one will not find a burger on Joel Robuchon’s Las Vegas menu…

In Nice, at The Cheese Steak City (it is a hole in the wall). At least that is what they call their sandwiches (buns, steak, peppers, and some sort of cheese)

1 Like

I keep thinking about this thread (whose title really annoys me because I find the word “Frenchies” both gross and offensive).

The thing is, it strikes me less about the specific foods than how they are consumed. That is whatever meal one has, it’s about going to the or a table rather than sitting at one’s desk. (I am an outlier at my workplace simply because I am offended by the idea of working lunches, or eating during a meeting. There’s something so wrong about that and bad for the digestion as well.)

In that regard I suppose there is something to the “proper meal” stance taken— even a sandwich will still be a meal and not a convenient way to consume energy whilst working…

2 Likes

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Only the first one is relevant to your comment. But oh so relevant :joy:

1 Like

Thanks! I looked at their website. They bravely show you photos of a Tony Luke’s cheesesteak and then their own.

The French can’t resist adding a sauce to it!

https://www.thecheesesteakcity.fr/

I just want to clarify my opinion about a proper meal, since I used that phrase:

In the context of France, I mean food that has been cooked. Could be a school lunch or workplace cafeteria. But not just something that has been assembled, like the jambon beurre. (or substitute another common filling like paté.)

All things being equal, I believe the French won’t choose the jambon beurre. Yes, a generalization.

I’ve walked by this place many times and was never really tempted to try them out. They are closed for much needed renovations. I’ve waited for takeaway during a weekday lunch from the Lebanese resto next door, with nothing but local French workers.

They have a photo with Tony Luke on their Insta. Claim to be created in partnership with Geno’s of Philly. Owner apparently lived in Philadelphia.