French/Paris ham [Greater Boston area]

We miss the simple "jambon beurre"sandwiches we made when we were in France, made with supermarket-purchased ham. We have seen some very expensive ($25/lb) versions in specialty stores, but would love to find a more affordable version. My understanding is that these hams are wet cured, and NOT smoked. Any suggestions? We live in Watertown, but our shopping area reaches Burlington (MA), to Framingham. We are often in Northwestern Rhode Island. Providence, Warwick, etc.)

Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge carries Jambon de Paris and I think the price is less than $25/lb, but I can’t remember the exact number.

This post triggered something deep in me, and I am now making “oeufs en gelée” :o))

2 Likes

It has been a while since I’ve made a jambon beurre with this ham, but I do have pleasant memories of it having satisfied the exact same craving as you are having now:

There is a store finder at the bottom of the page

The newish Boulangerie PBR (Somerville and Boston) might carry it or know where you can find it.
https://www.prbboulangerie.com/.

The new Michette Bakery in Somerville sells the jambon buerre sandwich some days. They don’t sell the ham, but they get theirs from somewhere. I enjoyed the sandwich recently and the ham was not smoked. The owner is from France.

Wine and cheese Cask in Somerville sells sandwiches that include “French-style” ham and they also sell all the meats by the pound they use in the sandwiches. I don’t know if their “French-style” means unsmoked.

I searched Mercato: South End Formaggio Kitchen has French ham/jambon de Paris for $17.95/pound. They also have Jambon de Bayonne for $45.95/pound.

If you find it, please report back!

3 Likes

You could try MA-France in Lexington. I’m currently out of town; otherwise, I would stop in and check for you (I live nearby).

1 Like

Call the deli counter at Wegmans. I’ve spotted Jambon and Iberico in passing but don’t know any specifics.

1 Like

The Spirited Gourmet in Belmont does a sandwich of Jambon and Brie for $13.95, if that is appealing at all. I haven’t had it, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of their offerings.

3 Likes

I had intended to include MA-France in Lexington. We went months ago. I don’t recall seeing the jambon for sale, but it’s owned by friendly, helpful people who would most likely welcome a query.

1 Like

Niman Ranch makes a Jambon Royale — Whole Foods carries it in at least some stores, if you want to check the ones near you.

Have you tried searching for french ham / jambon de paris / etc on Instacart for the stores in your radius? That’s usually my go to (then I call the store directly to confirm before going in).

1 Like

Good call. Love that place. The wine guy has never steered me wrong and the woman—who I think is the manager—is a gem (pretty sure she is in the restaurant biz, but I can’t recall specifically where).

3 Likes

I’ve got to get to Belmont and Watertown soon for many reasons. I’ve only ordered from Spirited Gourmet for delivery via Mercato; loved everything I got. Want to see the shop in person!

1 Like

Whole Foods Has the sliced 3 Little Pigs on sale through Tues, the 29th for $5.39 for Prime members. Reg price $7.99. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/three-little-pigs-jambon-de-paris-b08vtf4xyr

3 Likes

I love SG too and have bought several things from them, including Jambon de Paris and much wine especially when Theresa Paopao worked there. Theresa handled the wine at Oleana for a while and also worked with Tim Maslow towards the later stages of his FishyFish operation.

But to return to J de P, I thought the SG version slightly rubbery compared to the silkier Formaggio Kitchen version, but I’ve never done a side-by-side comparison and may just be imagining things. Both FK and SG charge $15/lb (I checked today), and I’d say in every case where FK has a competitive price go with FK. Whole Foods sells a “Jambon Royale Euro-Style Ham” for $16.99, as another point of comparison.

4 Likes

Are these prices per lb?

To answer my own question, looking closely at the image, that’s the price for 6oz, so $14.37/lb on sale. Ingredients are “Ham, Water, Sea Salt, Dextrose, Celery Powder, Spices, Cherry Powder, Cane Sugar”, but I confess I don’t know what the ingredients are in other packaged J d Ps.

I assume it’s for the 6 ounce package that’s shown in the picture.

MA France definitely has Jambon de Paris!

6 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

I used to get a ham here (Ottawa) called “Jambon Blanc de Paris “, but don’t know where it was made. I now get a somewhat similar one called “Jambon Blanc”, which is made in Quebec.