FRENCH - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2020 (Jan-Mar)

Much on Montmartre is of questionable value, both taste and pocketbook. We stumbled on a good bowl at L’Horizon on rue de Rennes/St. Placide. Surprising in this tourist central location. But actually, I’ve never had a bad bowl at a bar/cafe regardless of neighborhood.

1 Like

Pommes Dauphinoise
28%20PM

46%20PM
Good. Very good. But still not as unctuous as what I enjoyed in France.
Until I can get back for the real thing, it will have to do.

10 Likes

Onion soup

8 Likes

Rillettes look wonderful!

1 Like

This sounds so good, and I can get veal. What do you think of subbing brandy for Calvados? Not easy to source and we’ll never drink it…

1 Like

How about half brandy, half apple juice?

1 Like

Clever husband rummaged in the fridge and found remaining splat of rillettes. Fried it up and voila, carnitas → awfully good taco!

1 Like

:laughing:

Good idea. Might actually drink that. Like homemade pommeau.

DESSERTHEARTSRELAIS10690138_452112681602744_514360351439696333_n DESSERT: Relais & Chateaux Hotel - Lerida.
Rasberry and chocolate filled …

2 Likes

There are many Apple brandies on the market both with Alcohol and without alcohol.
A Google search in your región should be very helpful. Though many people use a very dry White wine as well …

Also, calvados is a very useful kitchen stock, useful in both savory and sweet dishes. It is pretty stable and can be kept for (IMHO) years, if need be.

2 Likes

My bottle was opened years ago. Used mainly for cooking like duck apple combination, use a lot in dessert, can replace rum.

2 Likes

Back in my drinking days, it used to last for days.

5 Likes

Wow! Really? Alone?! :crazy_face:

You can buy some miniatures. Here it exists some bigger than miniature bottles, just for cooking. I like pineau but less cognac. The percentage of alcohol in pineau is less than a brandy.

Differences

1 Like

Yes & yes.

4 Likes

Pommeau is a wonderful product. Cheaper than calvados and probably more apple flavor. For us, it is very hard to source. I have suit-cased it home from France several times…then tried to keep dh away from “my” kitchen stash.

1 Like

After the bottle is opened, do you keep in the fridge?

No.