For Brussels sprouts haters

Halve them, then saute them with oil until the layers touching the pan are slightly brown. Then add a small amount of water to the pan, close the lid and let the water steam and evaporate. sprouts softened because of steam. done.

overcook it and you will get the sulphurous and farty smell.

1 Like

Roast them n bacon fat, add more bacon when they’re done.

So, how do you really feel? :laughing:

I toned down my language.

3 Likes

I maintain that most vegetables people hate have been prepared the wrong way. I mean, if you only ever had boiled to death or steamed frozen veggies then yeah, they’re all pretty nasty.
I can’t get enough brussel sprouts myself- roasted, pan fried, hash, superthin raw in slaw style salad, i’ll even eat them steamed if there’s a tasty sauce involved.
As a hash i love isa’s version with cubed potatoes, but i skip the lemon and add a splash of red wine vinegar while cooking, sometimes pimenton or smoked salt goes in

3 Likes

+1 for the momofuku sprouts!
I make it vegetarian (fake fish sauce) but for me those cripsy bits of rice krispies on top are genius

1 Like

I love Brussel sprouts and I love vegan and these sound great! Thanks.

1 Like

Love Brussels sprouts. Roasted is my go to method but shredded is fantastic too. I can do steamed as long as you don’t take them to far. Never boil them

To all you haters . Your probably getting the old limp ones that are shipped thousands of miles to you . You must try the ones in my neighborhood . Farmers growing them a couple miles from me overlooking the Pacific Ocean in California . The view , the fog . Shout , Shout , for Brussels sprouts . Overly delicious .

6 Likes

Glad to see brussel sprouts getting the love they deserve

These pics are from last week in your hood

6 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about . !! :+1: Nice pics Hyper .

2 Likes

Those fan-shaped leaves are removed by the time the “clubs” of Brussels sprouts arrive in New England. Too bad. I’d stir-fry them along with their stems. Aced my coumadin check today so I can indulge in “the devil’s hemorrhoids” for a couple of weeks, something I look forward to each November.

1 Like

Thanks for the recipes, I have just added it in my soon to cook list.
Deep frying them is a winner!

Not so, for this hater. Not least as the UK is a very small country (we all live within 75 miles of the sea). It’s a traditional north European winter veg (which I suppose is why it appears at our Xmas feast). Most will be grown in and around the county of Lincolnshire , about 100 miles from me. And the ones at my local farmers market, usually sold still on the stick, are much nearer, maybe 35 miles.

There’s just something about the taste being unpleasant in a way I don’t with other members of the cabbage family, which I eat regularly.

I had a cuz who was growing brussels in their garden. Gave me a big bag of those big leaves. Blanched them and used them in place of grape leaves and rolled them up with a rice and meat mixture. They were great

They appear from time to time in British supermarkets in the cooler months, where they replace the other loose leaf cabbage leaves usually sold as “spring greens”. They’re no different in taste from the spring ones.

it’s nice to see you back.

I love them and roast them halved on high heat with whole garlic cloves, s&p, olive oil. Just before
removing from the oven a couple of short squirts of reduced balsamic … lemon zest as soon as they come out
When preparing for myself I can eat them any way… I love them

1 Like

I like them simply roasted if I’m eating them as a side dish, or I cut them in quarters, roast with olive oil, salt and pepper until well browned and then serve with a garlic aioli dipping sauce made with garlic, parsley, mayo, S&P, and lemon juice.

3 Likes