Food personalities you love to hate

Wasn’t rosie o’Donnell a food show host at one time?
:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Almost like she was famous at one time. :slight_smile:
Seems hard to fathom in retrospect.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification bbqboy!

I agree on Kimball. I’ve softened a good bit on Martha since she found her sense of humor with Snoop Dogg.

I am still very much irritated by Rachael Ray. Although I haven’t watched The Food Network in years and years. Ever since they went all “game-showy” with the competitions.

Bobby Flay bugs me. The only show I liked him in was (I believe) his first one when he was grilling on a rooftop deck of sorts with a sidekick or two.

And Guy Fieri is probably the worst of the worst. His over-the-topness and irritating catchphrases. GAH.

6 Likes

I confess to my prejudices. Restaurants in basements, for example. And men wearing bow ties. I used to work with one who would only wear it when the boss was away, as the boss happily told him that he looked a dick in one. And, yes, he was a complete dickhead. That said, the boss was complete madman - ex army colonel who acted like he was still giving orders to the troops. Mad as a hatter, as we say in these parts.

1 Like

Had no idea. Sounds awful.

I only saw one series by Allen. Has she done more series since the first one? I do have an ebook cookery book of hers.

Two more, according to her Wiki entry. And I’m pretty sure she also did a short Christmas series (or maybe a one-off).

Rachel Allen Cooks and How to Cook Well with Rory O’Connell have aired in the US. Love them both.

Google reminds me that Rachel has also done a “Coastal cooking” series

I had no idea Gordo was a YouTube star too, but this came up in my suggested videos,.
Weird. Or maybe not.

1 Like

By co-incidence, I’ve seen a TV programme in recent weeks where Spam was being cooked in Hawaii. Apparently very popular there. Think it might have been one of Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-ins & Dives”. A misleading title if ever there was one as almost none of the places he visits are any of those three. And, for today’s “confession time”, I own up to eating at a couple of Triple D places on our 2015 Florida trip - yep, because they were Triple D places.

4 Likes

Spam is extremely popular in Okinawa. It has something to do with the war and occupation of the archipelago until the early 70’s. When you are enduring hardship something like spam is a luxury.

The partner ate it all for me whenever we got it in our food. Also common in a rice parcel with a sheet of nori wrapped around it. Forgot the name now.

Part of breakfast

In bitter melon stir-fry. Goya chanpuru is considered the “national dish” of the archipelago.

Again

In braised pumpkin

With fish, part of breakfast.

And it does not stop at spam, one can eat taco rice on far-flung islands. This is another food Americans introduced to Okinawa, the locals replaced taco shells with rice.

Btw, I got 4 episodes of Ramsey’s programme. Haven’t even had a peek.

3 Likes

There are MANY varieties of Spam, as well, though we don’t see them much in New England supermarkets. Spicy, teriyaki, etc. I don’t think I’ve ever tasted any type of Spam. I looked at a label a while back, and was scared off not by the prospect of ground-up animal matter but by the very high sodium level.

musubi

2 Likes

More spam

3 Likes

More, more Spam:

2 Likes

Gordon’s show uncharted was on last night and in Hawaii. I wonder if that is why Google showed that to you.

1 Like

I have a very high tolerance for annoying people so I can tolerate most of your hates. I love to watch people cook, however I can’t look at or listen to Ree and can’t we please export Robert Irvine back to the UK.

3 Likes

I’m not s huge GR fan but I enjoyed the witty banter between the two. Especially the guy with the homemade Spam. I was like what the?? Sounded good to me. Thanks!

1 Like

Also any animal flesh other than fish is mostly imported to places like Hawaii and Okinawa and Samoa, etc. Meaning expensive - many things, not just food, are imported to islands like Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Growing up in California I had more than one meal with friends from Pacific Islander families who served Spam as special occasion food without a second thought. Good thing I was raised to be polite because honestly at the time it seemed nuts to me. A good example of the kind of thing you are never taught in school about cultural differences - not a criticism really since if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that there are always, always NEW ones.

4 Likes