Food Memories: Comfort Food & Family Recipes

Here’s my list…

Our Mother's : 
 •  mac and cheese, a slurpy cheddar sauce with elbow macaroni, baked with toasted white bread 
    croutons and a layer of cheddar on top. Eventually I convinced her to let me have my serving 
     unbaked.
 •  her fabulous roasted game hens with a Uncle Ben's converted rice stuffing (sometimes there was a bit 
   of wild rice in there) that had chopped celery, maybe some white onion, broth, Bell's seasoning, and 
   plenty  of  salt and pepper. I've never been able to recreate that. So damn simple and savory!
  • a roasted leg of lamb with lots of garlic slivers imbedded in the leg and HER grandmother's Finnish 
    coffee gravy and those oven roasted potato halves.  Lamb curry with the leftovers.
  •  The Pülla bread from the maternal side of the family
  •  Dad's spaghetti with olive oil and garlic, way before 'pasta aglio e olio' was common usually served 
     along side a ground round patty grilled on the hibachi
  •  Dad's presentation of a platter of cracked Dungeness crab, lemon wedges and Best Food's mayo to 
     be eaten with a loaf of sourdough bread made into garlic bread, a green salad with lemony 
     vinaigrette 
   •  Dad's dad's family wiener schnitzel (it's battered) that mother made to perfection with wide egg 
      noodles and plenty of lemony pan sauce to drizzle. This was my ' last supper' before going away 
      and for a birthday meal. I would rather have had Trader Vic's pan fried abalone with bedspring 
      potatoes and a Shirley Temple.
   • Mother's 'chip steak' sandwiches: at the time it was Ranch Hand brand beef (thin sliced frozen steaks- 
    --now it is Steak Ums) with spicy brown mustard, iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced bermuda onions and
      mayo on toasted Kilpatrick's white bread. 

I have made my own additions to these to keep them fresh and I do try to make them a few times a 
   year.
6 Likes

Wow, I didn’t realize that, but I do know the no no’s can be extensive with CKD. It must be difficult - is there anything you miss terribly, or have you gotten used to it?

I never liked bananas anyway.
Actually, I’m supposed to eat lots of protein so great for a carnivore like me. Tomatoes and cheese, not so much.
The weird thing is it is mostly healthy foods that I can’t process but now after 10+ years I’ve realized I can eat fun stuff, just not everyday.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, I’m glad you’re not pining away for bananas, and have come to an acceptable balance of do’s and don’ts, it sounds like.

1 Like

The only pork chops I’ve had and liked were 1) when our mother made when ‘Shake & Bake’ (“and I helped”, the little girl said, in a southern drawl in the tv ad) first came out. I think it was barbeque flavor. It was yummy to a pre-teen, then. The second was a dish a friend’s mother made called ‘The Gravy Train’. Fried pork chops and onions then simmered with a can of cream of onion soup and green bell peppers and something else over rice. It was something we scarfed up quickly. At first I didn’t want to touch it because I though it was dog food, as in the Gravy Train brand.

5 Likes

Only in America :grinning:

1 Like

supposed to eat lots of protein

Odd. My nephrologist said to cut down on animal proteins.

1 Like

Im anemic so that’s why my nephrologist is always nagging me to eat more chicken.
Potassium is my bugaboo.
I’ve paid a few visits to ER to get "flushed " out.
No fun.
Main thing I’ve learned is don’t take anyone’s advice on probiotics and supplements unless they’re qualified medical folks.
Those things can kill us. :smiley:

1 Like

Amen!
Kidney/liver/gall bladder issues are the $@%ts. Low protein/ no animal protein/ low fat/plant fat/low fat plant fats/ eliminate processed foods/ chocolate has cadmium…No iron//low iron. Lots of olive oil, but becareful from where it comes from. What the fred? I gotta discriminate my olive oils? Prebiotics/ probiotics/no biotics/anti-biotics. Drink lots of water, but be careful of where your water comes from/. Good heavens. I look at the FODMAP lists and scream! I’m dizzy. Good luck everyone!

4 Likes