Food Memories: Comfort Food & Family Recipes

I have never understood why almost any type of meat/fowl with bones included is difficult to find in supermarkets here. Even fish is mostly sold as fillets. Until a few years ago you could never find spareribs in markets and even in restaurants they were not easy to find. That’s gradually changed, though and I sometimes buy them to make at home. They’re reasonably priced, but in restaurants they’re pricey.

Again, you’re welcome and good luck with the mandel bread!

2 Likes

I haven’t tried that recipe, but I do love the combination of lemon and fowl. Unfortunately I no longer have an oven big enough to roast a chicken as I moved to a much smaller apartment with no space for one. If that ever changes, I may attempt it so thanks for telling me about it.

2 Likes

Does anyone still serve stewed tomatoes?
:tomato:
One of my parents’ favorites
Used to always get them when we went to cafeterias

I loved them in back then but I haven’t made them in years.

7 Likes

It’s puzzling, ain’t it?

1 Like

My mother made ethereal baking powder biscuits. I grew up with a slew of nieces and nephews for whom she was never too busy to produce a batch whenever they came by. Hot biscuits, butter and homemade jam. Smiles around.
She extrapolated these to Sunday afternoon strawberry shortcake. Never dessert, always a special afternoon treat. Berries literally minutes from the fields, mountains of whipped cream. Happy summers.
She made great pie crust, so we had frequent fruit pies throughout the year. Apple, apricot, cherry, berry. And of course lemon meringue. Oh, and the occasional meat pie. Comfort supper.

12 Likes

Somehow, I think the lemon tenderizes it. I, like you, much prefer breast meat and this turns out great, tastes delicious even cold from fridge.

2 Likes

I wonder if they are a loss leader. Bananas have been 58¢/lb forever here except every year during
the annual back to school cereal, milk and banana sale. FWIW, Grade A milk in our state (MT) cannot be sold after 12 days from the date of pasturization. After this pull date the milk must be destroyed.

2 Likes

I think bananas are cheap because they’re easy to harvest, can be picked green, and are somewhat impervious to rough handling in that state, and also hold up to being shipped (on ships) because of their ability to hold. As for being loss leaders, that may contribute as well, in addition, just about everyone buys them.

5 Likes

I’m making smothered pork chops today, a first for me.

3 Likes

I probably had pork chops at least once a week for the first 18 years of my life. :slight_smile:
Still love them.

4 Likes

What recipe are you using?

At my grandparents’ house, grandmother would sauté pork chops then add about equal parts ketchup and orange juice and continue to cook another 5 minutes or so. Delicious … sorta tenderized them.

3 Likes

That’s similar to our “bbq” pork chops at home, which had ketchup and OJ, along with some (I think) garlic and maybe a splash of soy. The ingredients sounded terrible to me separately, but the end dish was fantastic!

Yes, I forgot to mention, you just whisk those two ingredients together before you pour over the pan of pork chops.

Everyone except kidney patients.
:slight_smile:
Potassium is the death squad for me.

1 Like

Food memories:

• My grandmother’s (dad’s side) potato and cottage cheese, and, sauerkraut and mushroom pierogi, as well as her gwumpki (I’m sure that isn’t how it’s spelled). She used a ground beef and rice filling in her stuffed cabbage and no tomato sauce. I loved them. When she cooked, even if it was just for immediate family, she cooked like there was a ravenous army approaching. That meant leftovers for days!

• My mother’s purchase of the Mama D’s Pasta and Pizza cookbook from our Troll/Scholastic book club. I still make the meatballs and red sauce recipes (which I copied down before I moved out). She insisted on making the pizza with a whole wheat crust on a quarter sheet pan and only precooked the hamburger she added. All the veggies went on raw. Crunchy crust on the edges and soup and uncooked crust in the middle. We still ate it, because, pizza!

• My mom always made me my requested black forest torte for my birthday. Always.

• Staying up until midnight for New Year’s Eve when I was a kid one year and getting to try the layered caviar dip that was the big deal at parties that year. I’m sure mom used the fish roe you can get at the supermarket that is probably dyed either black or red. I still loved it.

• Mom’s homemade New England baked beans with salt pork and brown bread with raisins steamed in coffee cans.

• My grandfather’s (mom’s side) leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary. He always nailed medium rare. Mom’s was always more rare than I preferred.

• A rare recipe fail from my mother: (supposedly freshly caught) bluefish with hazelnuts. I’m not sure of how the recipe was intended to be, but this was a heavy oily fish in a heavy oily sauce with hazelnuts that still had their bitter skins on. I’m not sure anyone finished it.

• Quiche Lorraine every Christmas morning

• Sarah Lee coffee cake every Easter morning with the hardboiled eggs we dyed

• My first ever sushi, at some restaurant in London, in Soho, that I don’t remember in 1992. Also, that same semester abroad, some excellent Chinese at a few places on and slightly off Charing Cross Road (Squid with chiles and fermented black beans lunch set with corn soup, braised e-mein with ham, ginger, and scallions after seeing Death and the Maiden in the Theatre District and drinking too much red table wine)

• The first time (and most of the other times) I made cold peanut noodles from the recipe on the back of a bottle of chile oil whose brand I don’t remember (it was an orange label in the 80s). I lived on that recipe in college and continue to make it to this day.

• The first time I made “authentic” kung pao chicken for my then boyfriend who had returned from his semester abroad in China. Something I still make. He taught me to say “gong bao ji”. I felt so worldly! Then he ran off with a Reebok heiress.

• Trying Pho Dac Biet for the first time at a hole in the wall restaurant with my mom in Worcester, MA.

• My first restaurant experience with Murgh Makhani (also in Worcester, MA). It would take me years before I realized that the elements that I was missing in my own attempts were cardamom and dried fenugreek leaves.

• Since I’m going down the memory hole of Worcester and vicinity: Thai food at Thai Orchard. I would spend much time trying to backwards engineer their satay sauce. Strange Flavored Chicken and Hot and Sour soup from Chopsticks on Main Street. Some restaurant over in Auburn, across from a branch of Ronnie’s Seafood, where I had my first Peking Duck and Peking Ravioli (I think the latter is just New England nomenclature for jiaozi). Ronnie’s for fried clams and scallops. Grumpy’s in Spencer, MA for cream cheese and olive sandwiches. Grumpy’s would close and become Chef Sao’s, where I would first have wontons in spicy chile oil (doesn’t seem to be on the menu anymore).

• My dad holding out a snifter of a drink that turned out to be a Stinger for me to sniff and try. He’d made it with E&J brandy and peppermint schnapps. I was 8 and thought I’d burned out my entire nose and sinuses.

• And, finally (for now), the oil popped (later air popped) popcorn that my mom would make for us to take to the drive-in so we could avoid going to the concession stand.

Whew!

15 Likes

Here in SF when my daughter was about 10, she had a friend the same age. The girl’s mother (was an attorney) took her daughter to the movies and brought along a bag of homemade popcorn with real butter. As they entered, the manager insisted they weren’t allowed to bring their own snacks so he took it. When the movie ended, she asked for her popcorn back but the workers said it was gone, they’d eaten it, was delicious. She brought suit, won … don’t know how much …

6 Likes

Good for her! I’ve not tried bringing already popped corn into a theater, but for the drive-in it was never an issue.

Drive Ins were great when my daughter was a toddler. She never fell asleep, stayed up and watched a double feature with me.

1 Like

I definitely ended up staying up for movies that my parents probably assumed I would be asleep for…Body Heat comes to mind :laughing:

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Mama-pasta-pizza-Giovanna-DAgostino/dp/0307487237/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EJ30HAZ1DA2M&keywords=mama+d's+pasta+and+pizza+cookbook&qid=1681088232&sprefix=mama+d's+pasta+and+pizza+cookbook%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Jesus. This is available on Amazon, but for slightly over $75 now. While I do think the cookbook is good, it is not $75 good. However, if you encounter it in the wild (for a more reasonable price), please consider it for your collection.

2 Likes