Food Book Fairs, Festivals and Events 2022

Mar 30: How to Write for Food Publications and Websites with Dianne Jacob

Wondering how to write articles about food and get them published? Whether you choose personal essays, listsicles, recipes, or chef profiles, there’s a strategy to get an editor interested in the story you’d like to see published.

Dianne Jacob, instructor and author of Will Write for Food , will provide an overview of how freelancing works and what to do to increase your chances of success. You’ll learn how to:

• Find the right publication or website for your story.
  • Decipher the Submissions page on websites.
  • Write an irresistible query letter that leads to an assignment.

Class will include a short writing exercise on credentials – an essential part of the query letter.

This class will be recorded for later viewing by patrons.

https://www.92y.org/tickets/uptown/subscription/food-writing

2 Likes

The 3rd Annual Mỹ Việt Story Slam is coming soon!

A virtual event for storytellers to share their Vietnamese experiences.

A Call for Submissions is now open until April 4, 2022

In celebration of Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage month in May, we will showcase Storytellers selected from a nationwide open-call to share their Vietnamese American stories on a live virtual platform. This will be a casual evening to view and celebrate the uniquenesses our community brings to the Asian American narrative. You might laugh, cry or be in total shock by the stories, either way, you will be entertained. Please contact us if you are interested in sponsorship opportunities.

1 Like

The cover of Chicken Soup With Rice

HarperCollins

Chicken Soup With Rice: A Book of Months , by Maurice Sendak

Please tell me that you know of Sendak’s Nutshell Library, a tiny four-volume set, each roughly the size of a deck of cards, first published in 1962 and made in every way for the eager hands of early childhood. When I was very small, I treated my beloved copy—which remains in arm’s reach on my desk now—with something like religious fascination. Each book is a banquet of mischief and reverie. Picking Pierre as a favorite meal in literature—as you may recall, Pierre, the boy who doesn’t care, is eaten by a lion—would probably be more Sendakian, but to me, nothing can surpass Chicken Soup With Rice . This book of simple nursery rhymes takes readers through the months of the year, each one attached to a verse about the pleasures of eating chicken soup with rice in locales across the globe (“far-off Spain,” “old Bombay”) and ever more extreme conditions (the bottom of the ocean, a literal robin’s nest). The singsong, paired with darling illustrations and Sendak’s devil-may-care attitude winking from every page, is forever-enchanting stuff. I couldn’t possibly pick just one, but here’s September:

> In September
> for a while
> I will ride
> a crocodile
> down the
> chicken soupy Nile.
> Paddle once
> paddle twice
> paddle chicken soup
> with rice.

1 Like

From food writer John Birdsall

excerpt:

The photo of Leola and her catfish stew is from American Cooking: Southern Style. It was published in 1971, as part of Time-Life’s Foods of the World, a subscription book series that stretched to 27 volumes by 1976, when the last title, The Cooking of Japan, was mailed out. James Beard was the series consultant, Michael Field the consulting editor. Leola was captured by Life magazine photojournalist Mark Kauffman, no doubt at the Manhattan test kitchen studio in the Time and Life Building at 1271 Avenue of the Americas.

1 Like