Food and the cricket world cup

It appears I’m forced to post this here, an enduring insult. Is there no room on HO for a China thread and an Asian subcontinental thread? Must we here continue to wallow in our provinciality? Will it cost cash to make separate threads? If so I’ve a stack of yuan and a stack of rupees to contribute – both China and India in their weird and doubtful ways having chosen to pay me for whatever I’d rendered – as a student once said to me in bewilderment, “you mean they pay you to think?” – in rolls of cash, just as my taxi was leaving for the airport.

Enough about cash and back to food. We’re in the middle of the biggest sporting event in the world

with an audience of well over a billion, and here’s a small tidbit:

3 Likes

Coming to the end of a visit to Kolkata in India, which coincided with the Cricket World Cup, and the height of the regional festive season. The main thing I’ve noticed is you can watch the cricket anywhere and everywhere. I’ve watched it on a TV while having my hair trimmed in a salon. I’ve watched it in a fine-dining Chinese restaurant on a wall-mounted TV. I’ve watched it on some random dude’s phone while eating at a street side café.

2 Likes

Doctor’s office and cab driver’s phone mounted on the dash are my personal favorites. Plus the audio commentary is everywhere.

(My grandfather used to have the giant radio going with his ear pressed to it, and back in the day when everyone didn’t even have a radio, we’d have a crowd collect for the big matches and he’d repeat the commentary :grinning:)

2 Likes

Apropos of nothing….In my household, the World Rugby Cup is the current focus. The guys favor South Africa on Saturday so spouse is making Bunny Chow. I baked two white sandwich loaves to facilitate as I’ll be away on a bike trip

2 Likes