Fluffy, Juicy, Scrambled Egg Sandwiches - Egg Tuck [Thoughts + Pics]

One of the surprise pop-ups and success stories during the pandemic, Egg Tuck is a new eatery focusing on Instagram-ready Breakfast Sandwiches. Nice visuals add to the enjoyment of a meal, but the taste is key. Thankfully, Egg Tuck more than delivers in that area as well.

Our first visit to Egg Tuck was a few months back, when they just opened up. You could feel the scrappy / desperate nature of the pandemic here, as Egg Tuck was a pop-up within a pre-existing restaurant (Chef Kang Sul Box). And when we showed up, the kitchen staff were finishing up the last orders for the day (around 1:00 p.m.), mentioning to us they have to close up and leave, because the original restaurant (Chef Kang) was starting up their dinner service(!). This definitely felt like a guerrilla or underground operation, just getting by.

Groundwork Organic Ice Coffee:

Egg Tuck features Groundwork Organic Coffees and their Iced version was fragrant and not too bitter.

The menu is primarily various Egg Sandwiches, and we started with:

Bacon & Cheese Egg Sandwich (Signature Scrambled Eggs, Smoked Bacon, Cheddar Cheese on a Brioche Bun):

First, you could immediately tell the Scrambled Eggs were nicely cooked. Taking a bite, a delicate toasted, buttery Brioche Bun gives way to fluffy, moist, perfectly cooked Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs. :blush: It’s luscious and bursting with flavor, a total contrast to many restaurants’ Scrambled Eggs which are usually overcooked, dry and chalky.

The Smoked Bacon is crispy and hot, and adds an incredible porkiness and burst of salinity to contrast the lovely Scrambled Eggs. It is absolutely delicious! :heart:

Royal West Egg Sandwich (Tteok-Galbi (Beef Short Rib Patty), Over-Medium Egg, Cheddar Cheese, Pickles, Grilled Onions):

The idea sounds great, but sometimes less is more. In this case, their Beef Short Rib Patty is surprisingly dense, chewy and basic salty. The Over-Medium Egg is decent, but not as great as their Scrambled Eggs, and the whole Sandwich is just OK. Their Scrambled Egg Sandwich OG or with Bacon is much better.

2nd Visit:

By the 2nd visit, Egg Tuck had found a permanent place of their own, just a few minutes away on Wilshire Boulevard.

Tater Tots:

Egg Tuck’s Tater Tots are crunchy on the outside, potatoey on the inside. Tasty, not the best Tots we’ve had before, but still a solid choice.

Original Eggcellent Burrito (Signature Soft Cage Free Scrambled Eggs, Crispy Tater Tots, House Sriracha Aioli, Flour Tortilla):

They expanded their menu and have added Breakfast Burritos to the menu. Their Original Eggcellent Burrito is filled with their delicious, perfectly Scrambled Eggs again, so moist and extra soft (not overcooked at all). :slight_smile: The House Aioli adds a creaminess, but there’s actually not very much heat that you might expect with Sriracha added inside.

The Tater Tots seem to fail to keep the crispiness you hope they would add, so in the end, it’s basically just “Mashed Potatoes”, as the exterior has been steamed / softened to the point where you just taste the Potato filling. The Flour Tortilla is fine, nothing special. Overall a tasty Breakfast Burrito, but we’d probably get it with their Crispy Bacon next time and hope the Tater Tots were more crunchy within.

Bacon & Cheese Egg Sandwich (Signature Scrambled Eggs, Smoked Bacon, Cheddar Cheese on a Brioche Bun):

But in the end, it’s all about their Bacon & Cheese Egg Sandwich: The Scrambled Eggs are juicy, so nicely cooked, and their Bacon is extra crispy again(!). The Brioche Bun is made daily by a local Bakery for Egg Tuck, and it shows, adding a light airiness to each bite. :blush:

If you’re looking for a fantastic Scrambled Egg Sandwich to start your day (or Breakfast for Lunch), look no further than Egg Tuck’s Egg Sandwiches. The OG Egg Sandwich is delicious enough, but if you’re in the mood, go for their Bacon & Cheese Egg Sandwich, featuring fantastic crispy, smoky Bacon which just elevates their Sandwich even more. If their Breakfast Burritos can solve the overly soft Tater Tots problem and you get that crunchy Tots texture more prominently, then that becomes a fantastic option as well. Either way, we’ll be back for more Breakfast goodness when we’re in the area.

Egg Tuck
3458 Wilshire Blvd, Unit #1/2
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Tel: (213) 674-7080

Also at:

Egg Tuck (Hollywood)
7131 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Tel: (323) 380-5762

12 Likes

What a great idea.
Something as simple and elementary as an egg sandwich taken in a variety of different directions.
Cool :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Make sure to go at night as well, when it turns into FishPop. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

These look great but not a new idea. This is a copycat recipe of the ever-popular Egg Drop (에그드랍) franchise in South Korea. I would happily try the original, the LA version or any other similar interpretation.

2 Likes

Hi @bbqboy,

Definitely agree. :slight_smile: Glad to have a restaurant do one thing really well and expand on it, than have hundreds of items that are all average.

2 Likes

Thanks @ipsedixit, I have your recommendation bookmarked still! Soon. :slight_smile:

Hi @BossaNova,

Thanks for the info! I figured there must’ve been someone else who’s done this before (just not in L.A.). Good to know. :slight_smile:

Nice scrambled eggs on a brioche …

Think I shall create a smoked salmon with scallion scrambled eggs on a brioche … Great brunch idea at home.

2 Likes

It looks very decent these eggs look very tasty, thanks for the article. It was very helpful :grinning:

Egg Tuck has been around for a couple of years in Hollywood. I ate there a few times but didn’t think it was worth the calories although I agree the eggs are nicely scrambled. Sadly, better than mine.

I’d much prefer Egg Slut sand which, which is worth the calories.

1 Like

I’m glad they have found success but what is that white glop on the sandwich? Doesn’t seem instagram-worthy to me. :woman_shrugging:

sriracha mayo

1 Like

Hi @Gourmanda,

Yah I agree about the messiness. To be fair, I think if this was pre-COVID-19, they would present the sandwiches without an outer plastic wrap (their website has pics of what they were trying to do). But because of the extra plastic wrapping on the outside, it smeared their “decorative swirls” with the Sriracha Mayo, so when you remove it, it looks messy. :sweat_smile: