Fish Skin Leather and Grape Skin Leather

Fish Skin Leather and Grape Skin Leather
What do you think? A step toward eco-friendly society? Doesn’t do anything?

1 Like

Ok . The skin of the fish has always been my favorite part . Cook salmon skin side down low heat until crispy skin with medium rare interior. The tail of the trout and grunion. The best

Yeah. I actually like fish skin. I remember some restaurants even specific have a fish skin dish.

My best friend is a leather worker and she has been using fish leathers for years (they’re not a new creation). They’re absolutely gorgeous, but she doesn’t like using them because they are apparently an absolute bear to work with and takes quite a bit of extra work. It’s also blindingly expensive, so it tends to be reserved for trim.

3 Likes

Thanks. I don’t think it new too (looking back some of the articles). It seems however there is a bigger push for it. The article I read is that people are starting to eat more and more fishes, and so the are more and more fish skin to go around.

I remember going to back to Hong Kong a few times during my child-teen years with my parents, and they would visit their favorite noodle and congee shops. Many of these shops that specialized in fish balls (and fish ball noodle soups) would have a jar of fried fish skins that you could order as a snack, or add in to your noodles. As a child I thought it was weird, but after tasting it I wondered how I did not discover this deliciousness sooner!

Grape skin though - didn’t realize this was a thing, but in the context of a winery, I guess it makes sense. Can’t you just add that into a fancy fruit roll up or something? :laughing:

1 Like

I thought this was going to be a thread about roll-up treats, both savory (fish) and sweet (grape).

So Disappointed in you peeps.

I just think… the idea that we can eat our shoes as a survival option is enlighting. Imagine eating grape skin and fish skin shoes.

1 Like

I’ll heard that during the recent Shanghai covid quarantine, people were locked up for nearly 1 month, some without sufficient food supplies. Don’t know if it was a joke (because they were bored), or some people were very hungry. There were some serious online discussions on how to cook leather (shoes/jacket) and made them edible or delicious. They also discussed scraping the bark on the tree that grew outside their window and the “wood” recipes.

Problem is when they are made into leather, the skin has undergone many toxic treatment. If someone can come up with an idea that treated leather could be edible… Sounds like it’s useful in war and some extreme situations like natural disasters, and you wait for the help . Very sad.

We just need to be careful about the tanning processing then.

Is Leather Actually Edible? (mashed.com)

“Vegetable-tanned leather is commonly used for saddles, holsters, belts, and wallets,” says Favored Leather, and is still edible after boiling it for a few hours to soften it. Other tanning methods utilize chemicals that make the leather inedible, like shoes, wallets, and luggage (via Favored Leather). “To eat a piece of leather, you must have access to water and fire as you will have to wash and boil the piece of leather very well before ingesting it,” we’re advised. Boiling will soften your potential meal. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you’re forced to eat leather to survive (we’re hoping you never do), at least now you’ll know what is and is not edible, and how to prepare it if necessary.

Slightly OT, but back when electronic door locks were relatively new for hotel rooms, there was a 1%-2% failure rate for the keys and tanned eel skin wallets were the issue most of the time. I was a bellman at a Hyatt Hotel and when the guest key failed we would ask them if they had an eel skin wallet. Most of the failures were due to the oils from eel skin rubbing off on the magnetic strip and causing the key to fail to interface with the lock. As you would imagine, the older the wallet, the less common the problem.
The other common cause of the key to fail was magnetic money clips…
I have heard that the locks and keys are a bit more robust now.

Even though this discussion about fish skin leather and grape skin leather is a year old, the topic remains relevant and interesting. The concept of using alternative materials for leather production is a promising step towards a more eco-friendly society. It’s commendable to see innovative approaches that aim to reduce waste and pollution.

1 Like

Interesting comment. Do you wear shoes?

1 Like