Firefly Restaurant - Noe Valley, San Francisco

Went here last night for a friend’s bday - first time. I hadn’t even known it existed - it sits a few blocks above the main retail/restaurant area of 24th Street. Truly a neighborhood kind of place. Space is very pretty, cozy yet elegant, with a beautiful large bar that you can eat at too, and an impressive wine selection. Food is kind of elevated Americana, with a few twists and turns, heavy on the vegetarian options.

My friend had been there once before and said we had to get the cheesy buns made with parm and cheddar and served with onion jam and arugula/walnut pesto:

Fantastic. They may not look like much but they were served warm, and the cheesiness went so well with the sweetish onion jam, especially, but both spreads were great. I could have eaten a basket of these.

My friend had tasted the vegetarian Provençal bouillabaisse previously, with these beautiful little risotto croquettes to soak up the broth, and loved it, but sadly last night the dish was under-seasoned. She asked for salt, which we hadn’t noticed was on the table already, and proceeded to salt every few bites. She said it tasted great after that. The server came by and my friend told her about the salt issue but that it was fine now that she had the shaker. The server apologized, then came back almost immediately and said it had been taken off the bill without our asking. I was impressed because my friend was clearly eating her way through the entire bowl, albeit salting multiple times.

I had the most fantastic piece of furikake-crusted ocean trout with tahini/miso rice noodles, and garlicky bok choy with chili crisp.

So many flavors and textures. The trout was almost creamy but with a crunchy topping. The rice noodles were especially wonderful, and my friend asked if they would consider serving it as a side if she asked next time (she’s a vegetarian so she wouldn’t order the trout.) They said yes, of course, they often did that type of thing to accommodate their customers. Everything in this dish worked together well. Really top-notch.

We finished with a lovely almond/olive oil cake with candied cara cara oranges. (It was my friend’s bday so they brought it with a candle, nice touch.)

I might have a hard time ordering anything but that trout next time, but they also have fried chicken and biscuits, their apparently famous meatloaf, gumbo z’herbes, moqueca, and so many wonderful-sounding vegetable starter dishes and salads.

Very friendly, casual, yet warm, service, too. I asked how long they’d been there - 30-plus years! - and was told they don’t like to brag about themselves too much, they like to keep it low key and be a real locals-type of place. It’s certainly that, and living in the Mission, I think I’m close enough to become a regular here too.

15 Likes

Great descriptions. You should be a food writer!!:writing_hand:

2 Likes

I can attest to the excellence of their fried chicken dinner. And, as a dog person, I liked this:

Q: Is it a problem if we bring our dog to eat outside with us at Firefly?
A: it is definitely a problem if you have a dog and DON’T bring them. We are longtime members of the dog community (by relation) and trust us that word will get back to your dog that that we had treats and pets for them and you didn’t bring them.

6 Likes

We have loved Firefly for some 20 years! (When did Levy open it?) Always a great meal. Thanks for jerking our chain and reminding us of this gem.

3 Likes

haha, thank you, very sweet! i can’t tell if you’re joking - i do a little of that for Mission Local as my second job. https://missionlocal.org/category/restaurant-reviews/

Thanks again!

1 Like

i love that!
their “Story” section on the website hints at such neighborliness.

And now I must try their fried chicken.

1 Like

November 1993!

1 Like

LOL! I guess a bit longer than 20 years!

2 Likes

I’ve read a few of your excellent reviews. Delicious work.

2 Likes

And I just read in their FAQ that they are almost completely gluten free!

1 Like

thank you again, super kind of you to say! appreciate you. :kissing_heart:

Great to hear an update!

When I lived in Noe, they were one of those rare restaurants that was both interesting to me and safe for less adventurous family members. Cool to hear that they have lots of gluten free and vegetarian options

4 Likes

I lived on that side of town (Bernal then Noe then outer Mish and inner Glen Park) 20+ years ago, and for me in those days this was the rare neighborhood restaurant with great food, not obnoxiously scene-y, enjoyable for us all but also suitable for parents. Glad to read it is still going strong and I will make a point to return for the good food and unpretentious atmo.

2 Likes

It’s great to hear from all of you ex-neighbors confirming how good this place was/is!

thank you so much for the update. this place is in my personal hall of fame. probably have had a dozen meals there, but it’s been awhile (i used to live closer). the vibe is, for me, perfect. i need to go back.

1 Like

So happy they are still thriving. We used to go there and Range and Foreign Cinema for small company get togethers in the 90’s and aughts.

2 Likes

I remember Range! and FC is still a favorite.

I haven’t been to Firefly in years but it was always cozy, delicious.

I have not been to Blue Plate (Mission near 30th) in years but it’s similar.

1 Like

Love Blue Plate. Friend used to be a chef there, but now long gone.