Finnish recipes

The Hoito! That brings back memories. I’ve been to Thunder Bay a few times and have had Hoito’s famous pancakes. They were really good! The place used to get quite crowded on the weekend.

2 Likes

@brucesw I made that delightful lohikeitto a couple of times, thanks to @MunchkinRedux’s post in WFD. Definitely do NOT wait until the next winter. It is sofa king good!

I really oughta make it again before spring hits hard…

6 Likes

Thanks. i don’t follow WFD so hadn’t seen it. Looks even more enticing than the posted article above.

2 Likes

Probably pulla, aka Finnish coffee bread, Nisu, Finnish biscuit, etc. very popular with Christmas and St. Urho’s Day. Large loaves braided in trinity.

4 Likes

Finn Fest in Duluth, July 24-28!

4 Likes

I believe @AD1 drew @MunchkinRedux’s attention to Lohikeitto, that’s why I included the Not Your Common Salmon link from July 2023. @munchkinredux definitely has posted beautiful Lohikeittos in WFD, which has led to others making the dish.

I looked at a dozen different Lohikeitto recipes online yesterday. :slight_smile:

I was trying to find some from Finnish bloggers.

There are some different methods, in terms of when one adds the salmon or potatoes.

Lohikeitto on HO search results

Kalakeitto is fish soup, broader category.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Finland/comments/13ox2wr/whats_your_kalakeitto_recipe/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

3 Likes

Probably cuz I left out the carrots and added fennel instead. I still can’t wrap my head around having carrots with salmon… but maybe it’s just me :woman_shrugging:

Thanks again. I gave up on WFD because the portions shown are off-putting to me. I can’t possibly think about eating like that. I see I’ve been missing quite a lot though.

1 Like

Simpler foods are more appealing to me. A 30 minute soup should be simple? The original photos look so over-wrought to me. Like they spent hours being tinkered with by designers before they got the pic they wanted. Not interested.

Carrots sound okay to me.

1 Like

I hear you. I mostly post on WFD when I make something I find interesting or that took a little more effort, or maybe take-out that is new to me.

I am enjoying the Weekly Meal Planning threads, which have a lot of recipe links.

It must have been either joululimppu or saaristolaisleipä. I like them both, but never made them. Around christmas, I top them with eg cold smoked salmon/reindeer, blue/white cheese.

2 Likes

Portions? I’m confused. Are you saying people on WFD post ginormous portions of the food they eat?

Because I don’t think I ever noticed that. Most folks (unless they are dining out) seem to enjoy rather reasonable portion sizes.

But maybe I misunderstood :woman_shrugging:

1 Like
1 Like

I’m a born Finn living in Finland all my life.

The simple salmon soup already present in this thread (lohikeitto) would perhaps be my no 1 recommendation for a Finnish main, if I wanted the person to like what they eat. It’s what I had this weekend at a 90 year old birthday party, and it can be what I would make at my home any given day.

I think most if not all of these were already present in the links here, but some of the other (more traditional) mains worth a mention in my opinion would include:

Thinly sliced sauteed reindeer (poronkäristys). Served with mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam.

Karelian Hot Pot (Karjalanpaisti). Served with potatoes, mashed or boiled.

Black sausage (mustamakkara), served with lingonberry jam and milk.

Cabbage rolls or casserole. (Kaalikääryleet or kaalilaatikko). Well, again lingonberry jam, lol.

Some other things:
Dark rye bread (ruisleipä).
Potato salad (perunasalaatti)
Cured salmon (Graavilohi, gravlax).
Karelian pasties with eggbutter (karjalanpiirakka and munavoi, no cottage cheese to the eggbutter).
Bread cheese with cloudberry jam (leipäjuusto)
Buttereye buns (voisilmä pulla)
Mämmi (this easter time dessert may look wild)

7 Likes

Thank you!

Could you share a potato salad recipe?

I have made Rosolli a few times.

1 Like

Nice, Rosolli is something not everyone loves, haha :slight_smile: not sure about my stance atm, think I didn’t have it last year.

Here’s some Finnish links for perunasalaatti, I hope some of them work and translate for you. It could be done with mayo or without. I would with mayo first to have a more traditional one.:

Without mayo, a kind of fresh “lightish” version.:

3 Likes

Thank you!

Thanks for asking. I personally love potato salad, it’s nice and fresh, but we mostly just have it around new years and may day (vappu).

2 Likes

Luckily May day is right around the corner. If you wanna go full Finn, then it’s time to enjoy the potatosalad with wienersausages, meatballs and have

munkki

And sima (mead) with it:

2 Likes

Thank you! I will post photos when I make these dishes!

1 Like