Filling Up My Dad’s Freezer

Aluminum foil muffin tins can work well as “TV dinner” trays for frozen meals that he can reheat in the oven. Servings like ice cream, cookies, or other items that can’t be reheated can go into cupcake papers or the silicone version. Before wrapping the foil trays, stick a Qtip into each well containing something nonheatable, so he can easily feel what needs to be pulled out beforehand.

3 Likes

Whoa! Unless there’s family living nearer to your dad, or he has devoted neighbors, he’ll need to either relocate to assisted living or get a meal delivery service so someone checks on him daily. Could be meals on wheels, or there are personal chefs who cook to order for elderly clients. For you, that commute isn’t sustainable long term. Good wishes to all of you.

5 Likes

I have so much to write, but hardly know where to start and stop! Things are interesting, going pretty well, all considered - but focus has shifted just a bit to do some aftercare for an outpatient procedure that became a little more extensive than expected. Also something we knew nothing about that was scheduled for the day after we arrived. But he’s doing well, thankfully. Today was geared towards a thorough fridge cleaning, and cobweb patrol, both tasks he can’t see well enough to do. Funnily enough, last week he decided to vacuum the fridge coils, but couldn’t access them, so he used the leaf blower!! Guess where all the dust went? My departed mother rolled over in her grave a few times that day for sure. Tomorrow I think we’ll do a grocery run, and hopefully get down to more cooking. I’ll be going into more details about the food, and thanks again for all the great ideas. Finally read all the replies today - will probably order up some of the containers for freezing that @Saregama noted. Happy weekend!

12 Likes

“so he used the leaf blower!!”
Love that.

“Cuz after all, he’s just a man.” - Tammy W

8 Likes

Having some Chardonnay now, dinner is on the stove top bubbling away and starting to smell good. It’s going to be loaded potato green chile soup. Needed to use some older cheddar and a bit of other dairy. Threw some bacon & corn in there and will top with the usual suspects. I should have a few leftover portions to freeze. Last dinner was great - a roasted pork tenderloin with a plum sauce and balsamic glaze, broccoli and mashed potatoes and gravy. Everyone was happy. Bonus was enough kftovers for a frozen dinner for dad. And he lived everything! The night before my wonderful SIL sent home leg of lamb, orzo in tomato sauce, dolmades, tyropita, Greek bread and assorted pastries. Also rice pudding, a huge favorite of my dad’s. Lucky recipients we were. Here are a couple pics. H got to play with a new Xmas toy, a “Meater” thermometer. No pics of the pork roast though.

12 Likes

:money_mouth_face: 'Bout all I got to say. Dang!

Lucky dad, but sure sounds like he’s earned it. I sure loved mine. Enjoy every minute! You earned it.

2 Likes

Forgot to say, dad isn’t much of a lamb lover, so he smothered his in plum sauce, said it was fine if he put enough on. SIL never needs to know this. Dolmas & pastry a big hit tho.

7 Likes

Well, last night’s dinner was a BIG FAIL! :-1:t2: The loaded potato green chile soup was just meh. The guys weren’t loving it, and by the time I was ready to try some, I was bracing myself for how bad it may possibly be. Scary. Anyway it tasted better than I expected, but could have been the result of several glasses of wine. :upside_down_face: So will give it another go for my lunch today. If it’s still just blah may try to doctor it up, but we will see. It may wind up in the bin. Dang! Was hoping to freeze individual portions. Things are a little challenging here, and communication misfires are 100% a given thing. Sometimes several in one day. It’s especially difficult with dad’s severe visual problems as well. When it’s funny we laugh as much as possible, which is a sanity saving necessity. Not sure of the menu for tonight but will figure something out. Happy Sunday!

12 Likes

Hang in there, @Lambchop. We’re here for release.

Man, communication misfires suck, I’m living with them at the moment too! Also just general setting-in with age, I think.

Can you save yourself some time / effort by starting with a couple of things he can list right now as wanting to eat? (I’m shaking my head as I write this, because we have had 3 fails with dad in the last 2 days even after asking specifically what he wanted to eat. Sigh.)

8 Likes

Thanks for your always thoughtful replies, and your support! We are in similar boats I think, but you might be on the Nile & me in the Southern ocean, or vice versa! Also I’ve been thinking of your unplanned absence from home during Covid. Not sure I could have done that. But we do what we have to do!
Dad is actually pretty easy to feed, with the exception of pasta, lamb and a few other things. Pasta and lamb, a little here and there, just not preferred foods. The guys are at Costco, so they may pick up a protein or other dinner components. I am suffering being home alone, whatever will I do lol!!
Anyway, we’ll keep plugging along, and reset when and if necessary. When both my parents were still alive, and we traveled together, I learned to completely make their agenda ours, have lowered expectations, and things often went extremely well. These were mostly family visits for weddings, graduations and the like, but sometimes lasted 2 weeks. TBH, I’m drawing on past experiences with all sorts of people (stubborn toddlers) to pull me through this. Again, thanks for your support and good luck with your situation! :hibiscus:

11 Likes

It’s funny, I have a cousin who really dislikes pasta and noodles. Completely pro-potato. I love my noodles.

2 Likes

Me too, I couldn’t live without noodles & love so many types. But then again, I like most starches, just have to limit them to a reasonable amount. Did you see the pic of the orzo cooked in tomato sauce upthread? It’s pretty ugly & unappetizing looking, I almost deleted it. But H loved it. The orzo, not the pic lol.

3 Likes

It didn’t stand out as unappetizing but a lot of dishes taste better than they look. :slightly_smiling_face:Orzo is chicken soup for the soul for many Greeks, I think. I served my braciole with orzo last week because I knew it would go over better than other shapes of pasta, and go over better than polenta or mashed potato.

Trahana for other Greeks, I guess . ( I didn’t grow up with it)

1 Like

Definitely a place for both in my heart, but I especially love orzo, insanely so. Perfect shar for many things.

1 Like

Have you made Hungarian nokedli? A little eggier and a smaller noodle than most spaetzle. We really like them, either cooked from dry (our Polish store sells them) or ordered from a Hungarian restaurant.

1 Like

No, but I’ll have to check into that & put it on the goals topic. Thanks!

1 Like