Fernandes Steakhouse Matawan

Last night was the soft opening of Fernandes Steakouse on RT 79 in Matawan. They took over the former Mediterranean Chateau. It’s from the same people who run the Newark and South Amboy Fernandes outposts. I hear the menu is limited during this period.

I’m very much looking forward to trying when they get into full operation.

8 Likes

This should be a home run I’m not aware of a decent Portuguese place in the immediate vicinity.

I FEEL THE NEED FOR A HODown. Anyone else???

2 Likes

Anyone know when they are opening?

Wowza!!! That’s pretty darn cool and I look forward to checking it out.

1 Like

Went last night and they are fully operational. Walked in around 6:30 and was able to get seated with no ressie (not sure if they take ressies), but they were completely full within an hour of our arrival. The menu is identical to the Fernandes 3 menu (in fact, it is the Fernandes 3 menu as “Fernandes 3” is stamped on the cover). No rodizio. The food we had was on the whole quite good and certainly on par with Fernandes 3. Had a huge pot of cockles to start with a 1/2 pitcher of sangria. Mains included garlic shrimp and a special whole bronzino. Only disappointment were the Portugese thin sliced potatoes which were not freshly fried and not worth the calories. Seemed to us that they could use some additional waitstaff, but the staff at work did a great job and there were no service hiccups. Will be returning.

6 Likes

Their web presence seems pretty abysmal–the page for Matawan is a “coming soon” page, and the menu on the South Amboy page doesn’t seem to work either. I would love to see if they have something in Mataean at lunchtime that would be good for takeout.