Feb 2020 Openings and closings (Boston and New England)

Just noticed we didn’t have one of these yet. Now we do! Anything that debuts or shuts down can go here.

The couple things that are most interesting to me this month that are new are Tsurutontan (a Japanese udon place in Kenmore) and Barra (a really intriguing looking Mexican restaurant) in Union Sq,

5 Likes

ooooh, was asleep at the switch, thanks @passing_thru!

Minuteman Diner in Bedford appears to be packing them in but I am waiting a few weeks to let them shake down.

Agree that both Tsurutontan and Barra look interesting.

3 Likes

guatemala restaurant has opened in the old lynn house of roast beef location in market square in lynn

2 Likes

Lynn House of Beef is a blast from the past. I hadn’t been there in probably 25 years. It was quite the late night scene. How long has it been closed for?

Meritage is closing after service on February 15th to become a private function space.

3 Likes

a few months

1 Like

Newton records indicate transfer of the Lumiere liquor license to an entity d/b/a The Bluebird Bar and Grill, David Sardella, manager. Rumor has it that B-Side (Cambridge) alums may be involved, possibly East Coast Grill alums (Chris Schlesinger???). Anybody got some intelligence?

5 Likes

Ooohhh, that does sound promising. I’m looking forward to hearing more definite info!

1 Like

Gretchen, have you been yet?

Again . . . nothing to report in the Waltham area . . . BUT! hopefully soon.

Peppino’s Dosa (the dosa place on Moody street that has been “coming soon” for probably a decade, though not under this name, just the space in general) looks darn ready to open - the bar back is stocked with glasses, all the coverings are off the windows, there is an “open” sign hanging in the window just waiting to be turned on . . . . and they have a website! So hopefully in the very near future that space will actually be a functioning part of Moody street.!

https://peppinosdosa.com/home

PS - anyone have any inside scoop on Gustavo’s opening in their new location on Moody? They were “supposed” to open this month but they still have the plastic up over the windows. . . . .

3 Likes

@bear I have not, been out in AZ and reporting from there!

1 Like

I don’t know, Thimes, do you think we could handle actually having something in that space and not just being teased? Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. That would be an awesome development. There used to be at least five Indian restaurants on Moody St. when we moved in twenty years ago so it would be nice to have options again. Did you get a good-enough look to see if the space looks more fast-casual or sit-down?

1 Like

Stopped in to try the new Flora’s Wine Bar in West Newton last Sunday evening (small, idiosyncratic but interesting wine list, nice cheese/charcuterie) and noticed diners at a private event in the old Lumiere space. Signage still says Lumiere. Friends and family tryout?

2 Likes

Good to know. It will be nice to have new options in that area.