Favourite places and favourite dishes to order in Paris, a list by Travellers and/or Non-Residents

We are here tonight!

1 Like
3 Likes

A profound ignorance of the lack of diversity in French agriculture. He should’ve done his research and known that they dont milk oats here. Nor soy. They’re still mainly using cows.

2 Likes

I love my oat milk latte at the Peloton Café on rue de Pont Louis-Philippe.

2 Likes

Indeed. We’re very animal-conscious and we do care for our cows’ job security.

3 Likes

I love the headline / original question here (though I’m just as interested in what Parisian locals have to say as we tourists) - what specific favorite dishes to try in restaurants in Paris.

I look through my own lists, and I have only the beef bourguignon and Grand Mariner soufflé at Josephine Chez Dumonet (and neither was quite as good when we were there a few weeks ago as they were in times past, though both still worthy). Well, I suppose if one included 3* Michelin places, I would include the iced oysters from Guy Savoy, but that rec is not really IMO all that useful for a list like this.

For me, this would be a supplement to, not a replacement for, going to restaurants for overall quality, tasting menus, creative dishes based on the season, etc.

On my list of things to try for next time are:

• the poulet au vin jaune at Auberge Bressane (per Parn)
  • the crème caramel at L’Assiette
  • the bouillabaisse at Chez Michel

What “shouldn’t miss” dishes at specific restaurants do folks recommend?

1 Like

I have a habit of visiting Paris on holidays when the chefs are on vacation, and many restaurants are closed, so despite 5 or 6 visits, I haven’t tried many places that are famous for specific dishes.

Be aware that the bouillabaisse at Chez Michel is by no means a classic one. It is the chef’s own interpretation, influenced by his Basque and Spanish experiences — in fact it is much closer to a Basque ttoro than to a bouillabaisse.

Going back to the main question:

• Baba au rhum at Arnaud Nicolas
  • Veal brains meunière at Amarante
  • Steamed mackerel at Le Gabriel
  • Boudin créole at La Rhumerie
  • Saucisse-purée at Les Arlots
  • Croquettes de joue de bœuf at YARD Mont-Louis
3 Likes

Lovely lunch at Bouillon Racine. a few years back. Carrot soup, veal cutlets with roasted tomatoes, floating island and assorted ice creams for dessert.
Very pretty setting, there was a wedding party next to us having a wonderful time.
Not sure if it is a tourist trap or not, but we enjoyed it very much.

2 Likes

I can’t think of any one dish that we must have when we return to Paris each year, except perhaps a banh mi at Angela’s Banh Mi at 81 rue de Turbigo in the 3rd, Mont d’Or cheese if we’re here in the fall, a saucisse de Morteau wherever I can find it (often we buy it at a boucherie and cook it up in the apartment), and, finally (until I think of something else), a good ris de veau at Amarante, or Coretta or Parcelles.

1 Like

I want to try the rice pudding @naf mentions [Paris] Possibly the best rice pudding - riz au lait of L’Ami Jean

I also love èclairs, so they will be on my list.

1 Like

Yes, always, un éclair caramel au beurre salé from L’Éclair de Genie on 14 rue Pavée in the Saint Paul area.

1 Like

I especially like coffee èclairs, but I’m open to many varieties.

Much thanks, Carmenere; exactly the kinds of recs I was hoping for!

Thx too @sfcarole sfcarole for the ris de veau recs.

And yes @Phoenikia , I too have had the rice pudding at L’Ami Jean, and it’s fantastic. And the fact that you still want to eat it after all the other food you’ve had there just before makes it that much more impressive to me!

2 Likes

If you like a good chunk of ris de veau, I love the one at Claude Colliot’s. Studded with cocoa nibs and roasted in butter.

Oh, that sounds divine. It doesn’t appear to be on the menu now, but I’ll keep checking. And the restaurant is right around the corner from the apartment we rent.

I can only encourage you (and everyone) to go to Claude Colliot. Nobody goes there and he’s one of the very best. He’s only not very good at blowing his own horn and is not on Instagram.

2 Likes

Well, as a New Yawker with a subscription to the NYTimes, I cant say that I was impressed with their NY listing so I didn’t have much hope opening your link (I somehow missed the article when it was published). These lists generally don’t do anything for me. But, when it started off with L’Assiette (my favorite lunch during our October stay - thanks Carmenere, for taking us there), I was at least motivated to go thru the rest. Cant say that I’ve been to many that they cite, but I cant fault them (from my limited experiences) on the ones that I have (especially Amarante). They even managed to include Bofinger, my oft criticized infatuation from 4 years ago.

4 Likes

I’m grateful that there was very little expansion into places that I like to go.

1 Like